|Studio album by Steve Coleman|
|Recorded||September 23–25, 2016|
|Studio||Systems Two, Brooklyn|
|Steve Coleman chronology|
The band Natal Eclipse, assembled specifically for the project, includes musicians who have long been in Coleman's circle: trumpeter Jonathan Finlayson, vocalist Jen Shyu, and tenor saxophonist Maria Grand. They are joined by pianist Matt Mitchell and some musicians who typically perform in a classical music context: clarinetist Rane Moore, violinist Kristin Lee, bassist Greg Chudzik, and percusionist Neeraj Mehta. Most of the compositions are inspired by movements in boxing.
The PopMatters review by Will Layman notes, "The remarkable strength of Steve Coleman's recent work is that he has found a way to make his music more complex, more diverse, and more appealing all at once."
The Point of Departure review by Troy Collins states, "More so than many of his recent efforts, Morphogenesis stands as a key document in the development of Coleman's compositional progress."
All Compositions by Steve Coleman
- "Inside Game" – 9:35
- "Pull Counter" – 5:18
- "Roll Under and Angles" – 4:31
- "NOH" – 4:39
- "Morphing" – 14:08
- "Shoulder Roll" – 5:10
- "SPAN" – 3:45
- "Dancing and Jabbing" – 6:58
- "Horda" – 6:30
- Steve Coleman – alto saxophone
- Jonathan Finlayson – trumpet
- Maria Grand – tenor saxophone
- Rane Moore – clarinet
- Kristin Lee – violin
- Jen Shyu – vocals
- Matt Mitchell – piano
- Greg Chudzik – bass
- Neeraj Mehta – percussion on 3,4,6,7,9
- Morphogenesis on Pi Recordings
- On Steve Coleman's 'Morphogenesis,' Art Becomes Sport on NPR
- Hale, James. Morphogenesis review. Down Beat September 17: page 62. Print.
- Layman, Will. Morphogenesis review at PopMatters
- Collins, Troy. Morphogenesis review at Point of Departure