McHone served as an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs for several seasons under coach Stan Albeck, replacing him in 1983 when Albeck took a job with the New Jersey Nets. However, McHone only lasted 31 games, and was fired midway through the season after posting an 11-20 record. He was replaced by then-GM Bob Bass.
McHone served as an assistant coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers during the 1979–80 season, and under head coach George Karl during the 1985–86 season. He also served as an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons (1999–2001) and the Los Angeles Clippers (2001–2003).
McHone has coached for several teams in the Continental Basketball Association and NBA D-League, and has also served as head coach of the United States Men's National Basketball Team for several stints.
Sioux Falls Skyforce
McHone is best known for his multiple stints as coach of the Sioux Falls Skyforce, both in the Continental Basketball Association (CBA) and the NBA D-League. He coached the team from 1995-1999 in the CBA, and twice (06-07 and 10-12) in the D-League, winning the CBA Championship in 1996. He has a combined 180-124 (.592) record with the Skyforce. However, in August 2012 the Skyforce appointed Joel Abelson as the 15th Head coach of the franchise.
- http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/mchonmo99c.html Basketball-Reference, Morris McHone
- http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/20/mo-mchone-former-nba-head-coach-next-head-coach-of-d-leagues/ "AOL News, "Mo McHone, Former NBA Head Coach, Next Head Coach of D-League's Skyforce"
- http://www.nba.com/dleague/siouxfalls/alltime_head_coaches.html Sioux Falls Skyforce All-Time Head Coaches
- "Skyforce Names Joel Abelson Head Coach". NBA Development League, LLC. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070807/SPORTS/708070318/1002 No Mo: Coach moving on
- http://sarampage.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Team/08-09%20Rampage%20Media%20Guide.pdf 08-09 Rampage Media Guide, Page 13. Visited on November 4, 2008