||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||1946 (age 70–71)|
|Occupation||Novelist, short story writer, comic book writer|
|Genre||Horror, drama, gothic, genre fiction|
|Notable works||Cursed Be the Child
Mort Castle (born 1946) is an American horror author and writing teacher, with more than 500 short stories and a 17 books to his credit, including Cursed Be the Child (Leisure Books, 1994) and The Strangers. Castle's first novel was published in 1967. Since then he has had pieces published in all sorts of places ranging from traditional literary magazines to more off-the-wall or risqué markets. He has been nominated eleven times for the Bram Stoker Award for Short Fiction and winner three times.
A dedicated writing teacher, Castle has been a working musician, a standup comic, a stage hypnotist, a high school English teacher (for 11 years), and a magazine and comic book editor. He is currently writer-in-residence for two high schools, and teaching "Researching and Writing Historical Fiction" and "Story In Graphic Form" and other classes at Columbia College Chicago. He is a frequent keynote speaker at writing conferences, and has given over 1000 presentations to writers, would-be writers, and teachers of writing. One of his latest books, Writing Horror, for which he served as editor, has become the "bible" for aspiring horror authors. It also includes interviews with some of horror's top stars, such as Stephen King. Castle is also the Executive Editor of Thorby Comics, and currently fiction editor for Doorways Magazine.
Castle has been a regular contributor to Eureka Productions' Graphic Classics series since 2006, with work in Graphic Classics: Jack London, (second edition), Graphic Classics: Ambrose Bierce (second edition), Graphic Classics: Bram Stoker (second edition), Graphic Classics: Robert Louis Stevenson (second edition), Graphic Classics: O. Henry, and Graphic Classics: Halloween Classics.
In August 2013 it was announced that Castle will be scripting the Red Giant Entertainment comic book Darchon, an ongoing feature of their Giant-Size Comics line of free print comic book titles set to debut on May 3, 2014, as part of Free Comic Book Day. Darchon will appear monthly in Giant-Size Thrills, their horror-focused title.
- In Memoriam: Papa, Blake and HPL
- The Deadly Election (1976)
- The Strangers (1984)
- Cursed Be the Child (1990)
- So Many Tomorrows: Three Stories About Children
- Moon on the Water (2000)
- Nations of the Living, Nations of the Dead (2002)
- New Moon on the Water (announced by the now defunct Full Moon Press for 2010, currently being published by DarK Regions Press)
- Nukes: Four Horror Writers on the Ultimate Horror : Stories (1986)
- Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury with Sam Weller (2012)
- "All American Horror of the 21st Century"
- Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association (1997)
- "Writer's Digest Annotated Classics: Dracula"
- Sambuchino, Chuck (2008-07-29). 2009 Guide To Literary Agents. F+W Media, Inc. pp. 40–. ISBN 978-1-58297-548-1. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Castle bio, Graphic Classics website. Accessed Mar. 6, 2014.
- "Award-Winning Horror Writer Mort Castle Signs on for New Red Giant Comic 'Darchon'". Marketwired. August 19, 2013.
- "Red Giant To Join In Free Comic Book Day".
- Mort Castle, Oval Portrait. 3Elements Review. Fall Journal, Issue No.8 (October 2015)