Mortimer J. Buckley
Mortimer J. Buckley
Mortimer Joseph Buckley
|Other names||Tim Buckley|
|Education||Belmont Hill School|
|Alma mater||Harvard University (A.B., M.B.A.)|
|Employer||The Vanguard Group|
|Title||President and Chief executive officer of Vanguard|
|Predecessor||F. William McNabb III|
|Board member of||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Chairman of Board of Trustees, 2011-2017|
Mortimer J. "Tim" Buckley (born 1969) is an American executive at The Vanguard Group. The Vanguard Board elected him unanimously to succeed F. William McNabb III as chief executive officer upon McNabb's retirement at the end of December 2017.
Early life and education
Buckley was born in 1969, the son of Dr. Mortimer John Buckley and his wife Marilyn (née Scully) Buckley. His father was the Chief of the Massachusetts General Hospital Cardiac Surgical Unit in Boston.
Buckley attended secondary school at the Belmont Hill School in Belmont, MA. He later earned a BA degree in economics in 1991 from Harvard College and an MBA degree in 1996 from Harvard Business School.
In 1991 Buckley joined Vanguard as an assistant to company founder John C. Bogle. From 2001 to 2006 Buckley was Chief Information Officer, and from 2006 to 2012 he was head of the Retail Investor Group. He became Chief Investment Officer upon the retirement of Gus Sauter in 2013.
In 2017, Vanguard's Board of Directors unanimously elected Buckley to succeed F. William McNabb III as chief executive officer, effective January 2018.
- "About our speakers". wcc.on24.com. Archived from the original on September 2, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Vanguard CEO F. William McNabb To Step Down". news.morningstar.com. July 13, 2017. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Weddings". The Boston Globe. June 17, 1962. p. 121. Retrieved January 1, 2022.
- "Mortimer John Buckley". Harvard Gazette. October 30, 2008. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Carved Panel Archive". www.belmonthill.org. Retrieved March 30, 2018.
- "Vanguard's management and directors". about.vanguard.com. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Tim Buckley" (PDF). www.sec.gov. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "Vanguard CIO Tim Buckley, at a glance". sandiegouniontribune.com. April 4, 2013. Retrieved July 14, 2017.