Approaching the Dufftown Clock Tower in the middle of Dufftown
|Dufftown shown within Moray|
|Population||1,667 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|• Edinburgh||108 mi (174 km) SSW|
|• London||430 mi (692 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Dufftown is in the ancient parish of Mortlach (Scottish Gaelic: Mòrthlach). The old Kirkton of Mortlach, with its historic church, is on the southern outskirts of the present town. In the 19th century, James Duff, 4th Earl Fife, established Dufftown as housing for soldiers returning home from the Napoleonic War.
Dufftown hosts a highland games event every July which attracts many tourists.
Dufftown's notable buildings include Balvenie Castle, which was partly built with stones from the ruins of nearby Auchindoun Castle. The street plan of Dufftown is mainly four main roads meeting at the Dufftown Clock Tower; previously a prison but now a tourist information centre.
- Beóán of Mortlach (fl. 1012)
- Nechtan, who transferred the see to Aberdeen in April 1132, during the reign of King David I of Scotland.
Dufftown has an oceanic climate typical of Northern Scotland, characterised by relatively mild, damp winters and cool cloudy summers. The area averages 76 air frosts a year. Like much of Europe, Dufftown's climate is insulated somewhat by the Gulf Stream, a warm ocean current originating near the gulf of Mexico. This warm ocean current makes Dufftown's climate significantly milder during the winter than expected for its latitude.
|Climate data for Keith (Nearest climate station to Dufftown)1981 - 2010|
|Average high °C (°F)||5.9
|Average low °C (°F)||−0.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||65.7
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||45.9||77.3||108.2||142.2||190.0||152.7||156.8||145.6||117.5||89.6||53.2||35.0||1,314|
Whisky in Dufftown
Dufftown is located on the River Fiddich and is the location of several Scotch whisky distilleries. It produces more malt whisky than any other town in Scotland; in fact, a signpost on the way into Dufftown declares it the "Whisky Capital of the World". The largest and best known of the many surrounding distilleries is the Glenfiddich distillery that distills Glenfiddich single malt Scotch whisky. The Glenfiddich distillery is owned by William Grant & Sons, Dufftown's largest employer. This proliferation puts it on the famed Malt Whisky Trail, which also includes Keith, Glen Grant Distillery, Marypark, and Tomintoul.
The following distilleries have produced whisky in Dufftown.
According to the third film in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Hogwarts, the main setting of the series, is said to be close to Dufftown in an article of the Daily Prophet.
- Leslie Benzies the president of Rockstar North, which produces the famous Grand Theft Auto game series amongst other games, was born in Aberdeen and grew up in Dufftown.
- Dame Helen Carruthers Mackenzie, health campaigner, was born here in 1859.
- George Stephen, 1st Baron Mount Stephen, one of the founders of the Canadian Pacific Railway was born in Dufftown.
- William Grant, Lord Grant (1909–1972), Unionist Member of Parliament, Lord Advocate and Lord Justice Clerk, born in Dufftown
- "Historical successions: Aberdeen". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Dowden 1912, The Bishops of Scotland, pp. 97–98.
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, p. 317.
- Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2013 ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), p. 934
- "Scotland's Malt Whisky Trail". Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Dufftown's Distilleries". Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- Tom Begg, ‘Mackenzie , Dame Helen Carruthers (1859–1945)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 28 Dec 2016
- Watt, George (20 November 1972). "Lord Grant killed in car accident". Glasgow Herald. p. 1. Retrieved 12 January 2016 – via Google News.
Media related to Dufftown at Wikimedia Commons
- Scotland Census 2011
- Dufftown Website
- grid reference
- Dufftown Golf Club
- Dufftown Football Club
- The Whisky Shop Dufftown
- Keith to Dufftown Railway
- Dufftown Highland Games
- Dufftown & District Pipe Band
- Dufftown Accommodation - Dullan Brae Accommodation
- Dufftown Accommodation - Highland Spirit Bed and Breakfast - 4 star
- National Library of Scotland: SCOTTISH SCREEN ARCHIVE (archive films about Dufftown)