Morton's The Steakhouse
"The Best Steak Anywhere!"
|Founded||1978 in Chicago, Illinois|
|Headquarters||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Tilman J. Fertitta (President, CEO & Sole Owner)|
|Products||Steaks, Seafood, Wine|
Morton’s The Steakhouse is a chain of more than 70 steak restaurants with locations in the United States and in cities in the USA and abroad. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Landry's, Inc.. founded in Chicago in 1978.
Morton’s was founded in 1978 by Arnie Morton and Klaus Fritsch. Before they became friends and restaurant entrepreneurs, Morton and Fritsch worked together at the Playboy Club in Montreal. While the club was in the process of changing its menu, Fritsch prepared a hamburger for Morton to sample. Morton said the burger was the best he’d ever tasted. Together, they opened Morton’s of Chicago in Newberry Plaza in Downtown Chicago. The original location remains open.
Acquisition by Landry's, Inc.
In December 2011, Tilman Fertitta, President, CEO and sole owner of Landry’s, Inc., announced his company had acquired all shares of Morton’s stock, assuming complete ownership. In 2012, Landry’s completed the acquisition and moved company operations to its headquarters in Houston.
Some Morton’s locations host ESPN’s "Lunch with a Legend" series, where guests dine and interact with current and former athletes: in the past these have included Dwyane Wade, Bobby Hull, Derrick Rose, Dick Vermeil, Tony Stewart, Elgin Baylor and others. Morton’s also hosts "Celebrity Server" events to raise funds for local foundations and charities. Local celebrities act as waiters at these special events, which have included Larry Fitzgerald, Jim Furyk, Jack Nicklaus and Jonathan Vilma.
- "Locations". Morton's The Steakhouse. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Landry's to beef up with Morton's purchase". Houston Chronicle. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Landry's CEO to buy Morton's Steakhouse". San Antonio Business Journal. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Arnold `Arnie' Morton". Chicago Tribune. 2005-05-29. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Experience Our Culture". Morton's The Steakhouse. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "History of Morton's Restaurant Group, Inc.". FundingUniverse. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Restaurateur Arnold 'Arnie' Morton Dies at 83". Fox News. 2005-05-29. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Morton's Restaurant Group Remembers Arnie Morton, Who Died in Chicago on May 28; Legendary Restaurateur was Co-Founder of Morton's Steakhouses.". PRNewswire. 2005-05-31. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Morton's steakhouse chain to be sold". Chicago Tribune. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Morton's inches closer to being owned by Landry's Inc.". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Lunch with a Legend - Ricky Williams". ESPN. 2013-10-08. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "'Lunch With A Legend:' Briggs on Urlacher - Chicago Bears Blog". ESPN. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Lunch with a Legend". Morton's The Steakhouse. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Celebrity Servers". Morton's The Steakhouse. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- McLain, Samantha. "Jonathan Vilma to Host Third Annual Celebrity Servers Dinner at Morton's". Neworleanssaints.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.