Moscow-Pullman Daily News
|Owner(s)||TPC Publishing / Butch Alford|
|Founded||1911, 1882 |
|Headquarters||220 E. Fifth St.
Moscow, Idaho, U.S.
|Sister newspapers||Lewiston Morning Tribune|
The Moscow-Pullman Daily News is a U.S. daily newspaper serving the Moscow, Idaho, and Pullman, Washington, metropolitan area. The two cities on the Palouse are the homes of the two states' land grant universities, the University of Idaho and Washington State University.
The newspaper has been published continuously in Moscow since September 28, 1911. It began as the Daily Star-Mirror, which started as the Moscow Mirror in 1882 and the North Idaho Star in 1887, with a merger in 1905. A final intracity competitor was gained with the arrival of Frank B. Robinson's Moscow News Review, which began in 1933 and went to daily publication in September 1935. The two papers merged in November 1939 and ran briefly under a lengthy combined name, then became the Daily Idahonian.
The Palouse Empire News for Whitman County was added in 1984 and later became the Daily News. Later in the 1980s, the paper was acquired by Kerns-Tribune of Salt Lake City. The Idahonian and the Daily News were merged in late 1991 to become the Moscow-Pullman Daily News. Kerns-Tribune was acquired by TCI in 1997; all the company's papers except The Salt Lake Tribune were acquired by Butch Alford the next year.
The first editor of the Moscow Mirror was Willis Sweet (1856–1925), Idaho's first elected congressman following statehood in 1890. He had come to Moscow after learning the printer's trade in Nebraska; he was later an attorney, judge, and territorial supreme court justice. Sweet was instrumental in obtaining the University of Idaho for Moscow and was the first president of its board of regents (1889–1893).
- "While the name has changed, mission remains the same". Moscow-Pullman Daily News, A New Look. July 20, 2008. p. 8.
- "Rival papers at Moscow merged". Lewiston Morning Tribune. November 1, 1939. p. 12.
- "About Us - The Lewiston Tribune: Site". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Nielsen, Judith (April 1980). "A brief biography of Frank Bruce Robinson". University of Idaho Library. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- About Us - Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- "Moscow-Pullman papers to issue single Palouse edition". Spokesman-Review. September 8, 1991. p. B2.
- "Moscow-Pullman paper losing publisher in ownership change". Spokesman-Review. January 14, 1998. p. B3.
- "Biographical directory: Willis Sweet". United States Congress. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- University of Idaho Library - Moscow and Latah County newspapers