Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry
|Established||April 2, 1922|
The Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry is principal university for preparing dentists and one of the leading universities in Russia for training in the specialty "Medicine." The university has a 93-year history, which dates back to the first dental schools that have emerged in Russia in the 19th century.
The university counts its history from 2 April 1922, when the State Institute of Dentistry (GIZ) was founded. In 1927, GIZ was renamed the State Institute of Dentistry and Odontology (GISO). GISO pursued postgraduate specialty dentists, organized dental care to the population, engaged in scientific research. In 1932 GISO was renamed the State Scientific-Research Institute of Dentistry and Odontology.
In 1949, after several re-organizations, the Moscow Medical Stomatological Institute (MMSI), was created which became a scientific advisory center on all matters of dentistry.
In 1999, the institute received a university status and became known as the Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry (MSUMD). The university has an unofficial name applied in common parlance, "the 3rd Medical University."
- Oleg Yanushevich, DDM - rector of MSUMD, professor, honored doctor of Russia
- Anatoly Sharpenak (1895 - 1969) - scholar and biochemist, Professor . In 1939 he founded the Department of Biological Chemistry, and headed it until 1969 the founder of one of the theories of the origin and development of dental caries, known as Sharpenak’s theory of caries.
- Yakov Kahn, MD - professor of Urology.
- Leo Bokeria, MD - professor, Academician of RAMS, Director of Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery. Bakulev Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Interventional Cardiology FPDO MSMDU.
- Official website
- Gurevich, K.G., Fabrikant, E. G., Rabinovich, S. A. System of research staff training in Moscow state university of medicine and dentistry. ORPHEUS 2009. Fourth European Conference. Setting Standards for PhD Education in Biomedicine and Health Sciences. Aarhus, 23-25 April 2009, Aarhus University, Denmark[permanent dead link]