5 April 1939 |
Adjumani District, Uganda
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(Bachelor of Laws)
Law Development Centre
(Diploma in Legal Practice)
|Occupation||Military Officer, Lawyer & Politician|
|Years active||1971 — present|
|Known for||Politics, Military|
General Moses Ali (born 5 April 1939) is a Ugandan politician and retired general. He is the First Deputy Prime Minister and Deputy Leader of Government Business in Parliament. He was appointed to that position on 6 June 2016. He previously served in the Cabinet of Uganda as Third Deputy Prime Minister and Deputy Leader of Government Business from May 2011 until June 2016. He has also been the elected Member of Parliament for East Moyo County in Adjumani District since 2011.
Background and education
Moses Ali hails from Adjumani District, West Nile sub-region, in Northern Uganda. He was born on 5 April 1939. He holds the degree of Bachelor of Laws (LLB), obtained from Uganda's oldest university, Makerere University. He also holds the Diploma in Legal Practice, from the Law Development Center in Kampala, Uganda. Moses Ali also holds military qualifications from military educational institutions in Uganda, Israel and the United Kingdom. Over the years, he rose to the rank of Lieutenant General within the Ugandan military. He was awarded that rank on 13 March 2003. In July 2012, Moses Ali was promoted to the rank of four-star General in the UPDF.
He has held several senior governmental positions, including Minister of Finance in the government of Idi Amin, and First Deputy Prime Minister in the government of Yoweri Museveni. In the 1980s he led the Uganda National Rescue Front (UNRF) in an armed rebellion against the government of Milton Obote. He served in the Ugandan Parliament from 2001 to 2006. In 2006, he lost both his parliamentary seat and his ministerial appointment. In 2011, at the age of 72, he regained his position in parliament and was assigned new cabinet responsibilities. In 2016, following his re-election to parliament, he was appointed First Deputy Prime Minister and Deputy Leader of Government Business in Parliament.
- Ssenkabirwa, Al-Mahdi (9 August 2010). "Army Officials Finally Pass LDC Exams". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Tegulle, Gawaya (31 July 2012). "General Moses Ali’s Promotion: How Did He Earn The Four Stars?". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2015). "Museveni’s new cabinet list At 6 June 2016" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Uganda State House, . (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments & Dropped Ministers". Facebook.com. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- POU. "Profile of Ali Moses, Member of Parliament for East Moyo County, Adjumani District". Kampala: Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Natukunda, Carol (24 April 2013). "Amin Played Moses Ali Against Yusuf Gowon". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Mukiibi, Hellen (23 May 2004). "Museveni Creates New UPDF Generals". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Mutaizibwa, Emma (18 July 2012). "Moses Ali Joins Exclusive UPDF Generals’ Club". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Uganda's New Cabinet As At 6 June 2016". Scribd.com. Retrieved 13 June 2016.