Sumney performing at SummerStage 2014 in New York City
|Birth name||Moses Frimpong Sumney|
May 19, 1990|
San Bernardino, California, U.S.
Moses Frimpong Sumney (born May 19, 1990) is an American singer-songwriter based in Los Angeles, California. His self-recorded EP, Mid-City Island, was released in 2014 to positive reception. Sumney has performed as an opening act for Solange, Sufjan Stevens, and Erykah Badu. Sumney released another 5-song EP in 2016, titled Lamentations; his first full-length album, Aromanticism, was released in September 2017.
Sumney was born on May 19, 1990 in San Bernardino, California to Ghanaian parents. He moved with his family back to Ghana at the age of 10. Sumney described his childhood as "Americanized" by this age and had difficulty adjusting to the culture of Ghana. He did not learn to play any instruments until he was older, writing a cappella music for years instead. Sumney did not perform his musical compositions publicly until he was 20. He attended the University of California, Los Angeles.
Sumney's debut, Mid-City Island was a 5-song EP that was self-recorded onto a 4-track recorder given to him by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek. The EP was described by Pitchfork as "primarily composed of first-takes and improvisation; the music is stirring but purposefully incomplete". Sumney has joined Terrible Records since the release. Sumney considers his songs to be performance based, and that many of his recorded compositions derive from fleshing the songs out through live performance. He has gone on to perform at venues such as the Hollywood Bowl and alongside artists such as Dirty Projectors, Junip, and St. Vincent, and Local Natives. Sumney sang on the opening track for Beck's album Song Reader. On September 30, 2016, Sumney released Lamentations, an EP which featured a guest appearance from Thundercat. Sumney is touring off his latest releases, at venues such as Essence Music Festival, FYF Fest, and End of the Road Festival, along with playing intimate venues in the U.S.
Sumney's first album, Aromanticism, was released on September 22, 2017 by Jagjaguwar. It received acclaim from Rolling Stone, the Guardian, and the New York Times, which also named it one of the best albums of 2017.
- Aromanticism (2017)
- Mid-City Island (2014)
- Lamentations (2016)
- Make Out in My Car: Chameleon Suite (2018)
- Black in Deep Red, 2014 (2018)
|"Man on the Moon"||2014||Mid-City Island|
|"Scratch the Surface / Forlorn Fantasy"||Non-album single|
|"Seeds / Pleas"||2015||Non-album single|
|"Everlasting Sigh"||2016||Non-album single|
|"Lonely World (Lamentations Version)"|
|"Rank & File"||2018||Non-album single|
- "Out Of The Woods: Moses Sumney - V Man". vman.com. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "MOSES SUMNEY". Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- Pareles, Jon (2017-09-20). "Moses Sumney Does Not Sing Love Songs". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
- "Moses Sumney: Lost and Found in L.A. - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Moses Sumney Pipes Up". The FADER. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Moses Sumney". Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Moses Sumney: Lamentations Album Review - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Moses Sumney Talks Defying Genres, Romantic Myths on Audacious Debut LP". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
- Empire, Kitty (2017-09-24). "Moses Sumney: Aromanticism review – a single-minded star". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
- Pareles, Jon; Caramanica, Jon; Russonello, Giovanni (2017-12-06). "The Best Albums of 2017". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-12-06.