Moss (video game)
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
|Release||27 February 2018 |
Moss is a virtual reality adventure game developed and published by American studio Polyarc. The game is presented from a blend of first-person and third-person perspectives, with a primary focus on solving puzzles. Moss was released for the PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows in February 2018 and June 2018, respectively.
While in a library, the reader finds an old book. As he or she flips through pages, the reader is transported to a fantasy land contained within the book. The reader meets Quill, a young mouse, and begins an adventure. The kingdom where Quill lives has been overthrown by Sarffog, a fire-breathing snake. After Quill's uncle is captured, the reader guides Quill on an adventure to defeat Sarffog and save her uncle.
Moss is an adventure game viewed from the first-person perspective using the VR (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PSVR) headset. The player is shown in the game as a masked face and orb. Unlike most games, Quill is aware of the player. The player controls Quill, navigating environments and battling enemies. The player also can manipulate the environment to navigate obstacles and solve puzzles. Quill communicates with the player through the use of sign language for puzzle hints and emotional responses.
The player can change positions to have different perspectives of the world, leaning to see around buildings or standing up and getting an aerial view. There are collectible scrolls that only can be found by changing positions and exploring parts of the world that normally cannot be seen.
According to Metacritic, Moss has received generally favorable reviews. In reviews, both Digital Trends and VentureBeat praised the interaction with Quill and the world design. Both also stated that the game length was on the short side.
|2017||Game Critics Awards||Best VR Game||Nominated|||
|2018||The Independent Game Developers' Association Awards||Best Action and Adventure Game||Nominated|||
|Golden Joystick Awards||Best VR Game||Nominated|||
|PlayStation Game of the Year||Nominated|
|The Game Awards 2018||Best VR/AR Game||Nominated|||
|Best Debut Indie Game||Nominated|
|Gamers' Choice Awards||Fan Favorite VR Game||Nominated|||
|2019||New York Game Awards||Central Park Children's Zoo Award for Best Kids Game||Nominated|||
|Coney Island Dreamland Award for Best Virtual Reality Game||Nominated|
|46th Annie Awards||Best Virtual Reality Production||Nominated|||
|Character Animation in a Video Game||Nominated|
|D.I.C.E. Awards||Outstanding Achievement in Animation||Nominated|||
|Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design||Nominated|
|Immersive Reality Game of the Year||Nominated|
|National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards||Control Design, VR||Won|||
|Direction in Virtual Reality||Won|
|Sound Mixing in Virtual Reality||Nominated|
|SXSW Gaming Awards||VR Game of the Year||Nominated|||
|Independent Games Festival Awards||Excellence in Audio||Pending|||
|Game Developers Choice Awards||Best Debut (Polyarc)||Pending|||
|Best VR/AR Game||Pending|
|2019 G.A.N.G. Awards||Audio of the Year||Pending|||
|Music of the Year||Pending|
|Sound Design of the Year||Pending|
|Best Original Instrumental ("Legends Old and New")||Pending|
|Best Original Song ("Home to Me")||Pending|
|Best Sound Design for an Indie Game||Pending|
|Best Music for an Indie Game||Pending|
|15th British Academy Games Awards||Game Innovation||Pending|||
- Tamayo, Paul (24 February 2018). "We Played Moss For PSVR". Kotaku. Gawker Media. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- Oh, Ashley (30 October 2017). "Moss VR is like living inside a storybook". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
Update: "Moss, originally planned for a holiday 2017 release, will now launch in February 2018. Sony announced the release date during Paris Games Week."
- "Moss on Steam". Steam.
- Chan, Stephanie (26 February 2018). "Moss review — the most enchanting VR adventure stars a plucky mouse". VentureBeat. VentureBeat. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- Fahey, Mike (15 June 2017). "VR Game Moss Wants To Make This Tiny Mouse Your Best Friend". Kotaku. Gawker Media. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Frank, Allegra (3 August 2017). "Gaming's favorite VR mouse uses sign language in the cutest way". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Fahey, Mike (4 August 2017). "People Are Falling In Love With A Video Game Mouse Who Uses Sign Language". Kotaku. Gawker Media. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Petite, Steven (26 February 2018). "'Moss' review". Digital Trends. Designtechnica. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Moss for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Devore, Jordan (27 February 2018). "Review: Moss". Destructoid. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Moss". Edge. No. 318. Future plc. May 2018. p. 122.
- Carsillo, Ray (27 February 2018). "Moss review". EGMNow. EGM Media, LLC. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Hilliard, Kyle (27 February 2018). "Moss". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Barbosa, Alessandro (27 February 2018). "Moss Review: Tiny Triumph". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2017 (2017 Nominees)". Game Critics Awards. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- Stephenson, Suzi (19 September 2018). "TIGA Announces Games Industry Awards 2018 Finalists". The Independent Game Developers' Association. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- "2018 Winners". The Independent Game Developers' Association. 1 November 2018. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Hoggins, Tom (24 September 2018). "Golden Joysticks 2018 nominees announced, voting open now". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- Sheridan, Connor (16 November 2018). "Golden Joystick Awards 2018 winners: God of War wins big but Fortnite gets Victory Royale". GamesRadar+. Future plc. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- McWhertor, Michael (13 November 2018). "The Game Awards 2018 nominees led by God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- Glyer, Mike (19 November 2018). "2018 Gamers' Choice Awards Nominees". File 770. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- Keyes, Rob (3 January 2019). "2018 New York Game Awards Nominees Revealed". Screen Rant. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- Flores, Terry (3 December 2018). "'Incredibles 2,' 'Ralph Breaks the Internet' Top Annie Awards Nominations". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- Makuch, Eddie (10 January 2019). "God Of War, Spider-Man Lead DICE Awards; Here's All The Nominees". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Nominee List for 2018". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. 11 February 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Winner list for 2018: God of War breaks record". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. 13 March 2019. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- Trent, Logan (11 February 2019). "Here Are Your 2019 SXSW Gaming Awards Finalists!". South by Southwest. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Fogel, Stephanie (3 January 2019). "'Return of the Obra Dinn' Leads IGF Awards Nominees". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- Good, Owen S. (4 January 2019). "Red Dead Redemption 2 tops list of Game Developers Choice nominees". Polygon. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- Lagumbay, Emmanuel (14 February 2019). "2019 G.A.N.G. Awards Finalists". Game Audio Network Guild. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Fogel, Stefanie (14 March 2019). "'God of War,' 'Red Dead 2' Lead BAFTA Game Awards Nominations". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 15 March 2019.