Moss Side, South Ribble
Moss Side is a suburban, semi-rural community on the western side of Leyland, Lancashire, in the borough of South Ribble, England. The suburb is growing. It is adjacent to Bretherton, Ulnes Walton and Midge Hall.
There were plans to build a new Redrow apartment development, but local residents fought a determined campaign to oppose this and planning permission was ultimately refused in December 2005.
A new ball court and a children's playground were completed in 2005 and a better community is coming together overall.
Moss Side has seen an increase in community involvement in recent years. This has delivered benefits such as the Moss Side Community Newsletter, a Moss Side football team and the new 'Your Moss Side' website.
Features of the area
- Dunkirk Hall
- Black Bull (Demolished 2015)
- St James School
- Moss Side School on Paradise Lane. This school received "Outstanding Standard" in all areas of 2006 and again in 2008 and 2009 Ofsted Report and celebrated its 25th birthday in May 2007, under the command of Mrs J. Burdin who has been Head since day one.
- St James Church
Moss Side Community Centre
- Used for playgroup and by other groups and individuals.
- Previously used for Moss Side "Pioneers" youth club run by local volunteers.
- Co-op late shop
- McColls newsagents & post office
- Moss Side Tanning Studio
- New Territories Takeaway
- Newmark Pharmacy
Just north of the Moss Side village centre is Moss Side Industrial Estate, primarily known for Schwan Consumer Brand's Chicago Town Pizza, and the former Leyland Trucks vehicle test track. B&D Print also operate their offices at the industrial estate.