This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Newport Beach, California, U.S.
|Headquarters||Irvine, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Products||Bootleg Shirts, jeans, jackets, socks, underwear and accessories|
|Parent||Iconix Brand Group|
Mossimo is a mid-range American clothing company, founded in 1986 by designer Mossimo Giannulli, and currently owned by Iconix Brand Group. Mossimo specializes in youth and teenage clothing such as shirts, jeans, jackets, socks, underwear and accessories.
The brand is currently[when?] sold in 1,700 stores within the U.S., with international licenses in Great Britain, Australia, Philippines, South America, Mexico, Japan and India totaling 600 stores.
Mossimo was founded in 1986 by Mossimo Giannulli in Balboa Island in Newport Beach, California. During his first year in business he had grossed $1 million. The following year he made $4 million. In 1991, Mossimo expanded the line to include sweatshirts, knits and sweaters. By 1995, the collection included women’s clothing and men’s tailored suits. After only eight years in business, Mossimo, Inc. had grown into a multimillion-dollar lifestyle sportswear and accessories company.
In 1996, Mossimo went public with an IPO. In the same year, following expansion of the line but decline in profitability and street credibility, Mossimo realized a need to inject new energy into the brand. As Mossimo explained, “From 1987 to 1996, we were on an absolute roll. Tons of profit, tons of growth…but we needed a stronger infrastructure to keep up.”
- FashionModelDirectory.com, The FMD -. "Mossimo Giannulli - Fashion Designer | Designers | The FMD". The FMD - FashionModelDirectory.com. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "How Mossimo Went from Being Head-to-Head with Stussy to Target's In-House Brand. Its quick success allowed it to start stealing designs form artists, copying and pasting them, changing a color scheme or pattern, and then selling the obvious rip off design to its corporate master Target". The Hundreds. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Los Angeles Times With Losses Mounting, Mossimo Turns to Target March 29, 2000 LESLIE EARNEST
- Official Mossimo website
- Official Mossimo Australia website
- Official Mossimo Philippines website
- Target press releases: Mossimo
- Mossimo Giannulli at the Fashion Model Directory
|This California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|