Motherwell F.C. Under-20s and Academy
|Full name||Motherwell Football Club Under-20s|
Airdrie, North Lanarkshire
|Head Coach||Stephen Craigan|
|League||SPFL Development League|
In addition to the Motherwell F.C. first team, competing in the Scottish Premiership, Motherwell also have an Under-20 team who play in the SPFL Development League as well as younger age group teams in their youth system. They also previously fielded a reserve team.
The reserve team of Motherwell was known simply as Motherwell Reserves.
Motherwell were an ever-present in the Scottish Premier Reserve League since its formation in the 1998/99 season. Initially starting as an Under 21 league, the reserve league was open to all age groups from season 2004/05.
The Motherwell reserve team withdrew their team from the 2009/10 season due to financial constraints and a lack of support from other clubs, leading to the leagues eventual abandonment. Motherwell Reserves now play friendly matches.
Motherwell Reserves usually played their home matches at Dalziel Park, a sports facility outside Motherwell that is also the training ground of the first-team.
Under 20s Team
The Motherwell Under 20 team compete in the SPFL Development League and the Scottish Youth Cup. It was previously the Motherwell Under 19 team until it was changed for the 2012-13 season. having played home games at Fir Park, Hannah Park and Creamery Park, their regular stadium is now Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie.
The club also operates the Motherwell Academy. The academy was formed in 2012, and consists of teams made up of players and coaches from Under-11 to Under-17 level. The youth teams train at a sports facility based within Braidhurst High School. Since 2013 the director was former Motherwell captain Scott Leitch.
|Academy Director||Scott Leitch|
|Chief Scout||Bobby Jenks|
|Under 20's team coach||Stephen Craigan|
|Head of Performance Analysis||Ross Clarkson|
|Physiotherapists||Adam Stokes & John Porteous|
- Premier Reserve League (1975-1998)
- Runners-up (2): 1988-89, 1994-95
- Scottish Premier Reserve League (1998-2009)
- Runners-up (1): 2006-07
- Winners (1): 2016
- Runners-up (1): 1987
- Runner-up (3): 2004-05, 2005-06, 2009-10
Former youth team players
- SPL Reserve League - General Information
- Managers united in call to scrap SPL reserves, Roddy Forsyth: The Daily Telegraph, published 5 January 2009
- "SPL to create Under-20 league". sport.stv.tv. STV Sport. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Fir Park Stadium". Motherwell F.C. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "Former Rangers star Johansson quits Motherwell post and Craigan takes over". The Herald. Herald & Times Group. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Motherwell FC Squad Numbers – Scottish Premier League
- Motherwell FC website – Under 20 players 2016-17
- "Motherwell return for Scott Leitch as former captain is appointed academy director". Daily Record. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- Coaching Staff, Motherwell F.C.
- Scottish Football Historical Archive Mirror - Premier Reserve League
- Motherwell Official Website – Under 20s
- Motherwell Official Website – The Academy
- Scottish Professional Football League website – Under 20 League results
- Scottish Professional Football League website – Under 20 League table
- Scottish Football Association website – SFA Youth Cup results and archive
- This player has also represented their country at full international level.