Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motto in English
|Success comes through hard work|
|Location||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban, 222 acres (0.9 km2)|
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad (MNNIT or NIT Allahabad), formerly Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College (MNREC), is a public higher education institute located in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one of the National Institutes of Technology, and like the rest of them, classified as an Institute of National Importance.The college has the distinction of being first in the country to start an undergraduate programme in Computer Science & Engineering in 1976-77. According to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), the institute is ranked 23 in the 2016 engineering university rankings.
Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College was established in 1961. The foundation stone was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, and the institute was named after his father, lawyer and freedom fighter, Motilal Nehru. The founding principal of the college was Mr. Gopal Kishore Agrawal.
The main building of college was inaugurated by Prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on 18 April 1965. Effective from 26 June 2002, the college became a Deemed University and renamed as Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology.
From its beginnings the institute offered bachelor's degree Programmes in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. The institute was the first in the country to offer an undergraduate program in Computer Science and Engineering which was started in 1976. In 1982-83 undergraduate programmes in Electronics Engineering, and Production and Industrial Engineering, were started.
Post Graduate programmes were introduced in 1970-71 with master's degree courses in all engineering departments. The institute now offer M.Tech. degree programs MCA & M.Sc Mathematics and Scientific Computing course, and registers candidates for Ph.D degree.The institute has been recognized by the Government of India as a centre for the quality improvement programme in Civil and Mechanical Engineering. The institute has started a two year/four semesters postgraduate Degree in Management Studies from 1996. The institute has added undergraduate programmes in Chemical Engineering and BioTechnology in 2006.
The college has been recognised by AICTE as a centre for the Quality Improvement Programme. In 1972, the college established an industrial estate with 69 sheds with the objective of encouraging entrepreneurs and creating additional revenue.
The college is a member of Indo-UK REC project in the area of design. Under this scheme, a Design Center has been established at a cost of about Rs. six Crore, which offers training and consultancy. It was given the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) on 15 August 2007.
In 2010, the institute celebrated its Golden Jubilee year of its establishment. P. Chakrabarti took over the charge as the director on 3 June 2011.
In order to co-ordinate the activities of all NITs the Central Government has constituted a NIT Council, as under:
1. Minister of HRD, Government of India Chairman
2. Education Secretary, Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
3. Principal Advisor (Education), Planning Commission Member
4. Secretary, Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India Member
5. Director General, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research Member
6. Special Secretary / Additional Secretary / Educational advisor (T), Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
7. Chairman, USC Member
8. Chairman, AICTE Member
9. Financial Advisor, Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
10. Two Chairman of the Boards of the Institutes (By rotation) Member
11. Five Directors of the Institutes (by rotation) Member
12. One Director of NIT
(By rotation in alphabetic order) Member
13. Two Secretaries of Higher/Technical Education from States where NITs are located (by rotation) Member
14. Two persons from Industry nominated by the Central Government Member
15. Joint Secretary (Technical Education)
Joint Educational Adviser (T), Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad (formerly known as M.N.R.E.C), the cornerstone of excellence has been devoted to churning out the best and ever competitive technical professionals year after year ever since its founding. Located in the traditional cradle of culture and knowledge, MNNIT stands as the perfect epitome of profundity and inquisitiveness.
The MNNIT site spreads over 222 acres (0.9 km2) on the bank of the river Ganges.
MNNIT is a fully residential institution with eight hostels for boys and two for girls. One hostel is exclusively for postgraduate students. The capacity of the boys hostel is 1800 (single, double, triple and quadruple-seated rooms) and that of the girls hostel is 145(double and quadruple seated).
Other buildings on the campus include Computer Center, Central Library, CAD lab, Geo Lab, Concrete Lab, Heat Engine lab, Electrical Machines lab, Virtual Instrumentation lab, Mechanical Workshop, multipurpose hall, conference and seminar hall. The lecture halls and the tutorial classes of the institution are fully air conditioned.
|Engineering – India|
|Business – India|
MNNIT has been ranked as the 9th best Engineering College of India in the Edu-Rand Rankings of 2015. The survey was done jointly by Edu, an Indian company and Rand Corporation, a non-profit American thinktank. According to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), the institute is ranked 23 in the 2016 engineering university rankings.
Admission is through JEE (Main).(http://jeemain.nic.in)
MNNIT offer 19 post-graduate programs of two-year duration leading to M.Tech. degrees.The Computer Science department offers a Masters in Computer Applications (MCA). It has a Masters course in Computational Mathematics namely M.Sc in Mathematics and Scientific Computing and a B-school known as the School of Management Studies. Master of social work(MSW) is also running in the institute from 2009.
The departments in the institute are:
- Applied Mechanics
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering: Also known as CSED (Hindi Translated: 'Sanganak Vigyan aivam Abhiyantriki Vibhaag'), this department hosts the classes for almost all students associated with the IT sector. Be it CSE, IT or MCA. Numerous important subjects such as C/C++ (to name a few) are taught here with a full-fledged facility.
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Industrial & Production Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Product Design & Development
- Humanities and Social Science
- School of Management Studies
Student halls of residence
- Tagore hostel
- Raman hostel
- Tilak hostel
- Tandon hostel
- Patel hostel
- Malviya hostel
- Swami Vivekanand hostel
- PG Hostel
- Kamala Nehru Girl's Hostel
- Sarojini Naidu Girl's Hostel
- International House
MNNIT hosts several annual events and festivals:
- Renaissance, An entrepreneurship summit
- Culrav, annual cultural festival, showcases the culture of India through competitions
- Avishkar, annual national level technical meet
- Gnosiomania, annual national level quiz festival
- Josh and Dr. J. Lal Memorial tournament, annual inter college sports event
- An annual athletics meet
- Swagat, welcoming the first year students
- Ruksat, farewell party for final year students
- Sanjiv Chaturvedi - IFS officer who has exposed many corruption cases in Haryana and AIIMS; received the Presidential reference a record four times.
- Rajat Barnawal- V.P Engineering (Core Software Group) and India Site Lead at Cisco Systems.
- Vijay Dwivedi - CEO, Vyom Biosciences
- B. N. Singh - Indian engineering scientist, Chairperson of ICTACEM, Professor and Head of Aerospace Department, IIT Kharagpur
- MNNIT Official Website. About the Institute.
- "Summary of proceedings of the Review Workshop - list of premier institutes in India". CDAC website. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "Best engineering colleges in India". digit.in.
- "Case Studies, Leaders, Policy, Administration, Industry Focus, Campus, Technology". www.edu-leaders.com.
- "MHRD, National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF)". www.nirfindia.org. Retrieved 2016-08-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad.|