Moto G4 Play (left), Moto G4 (center), and Moto G4 Plus (right)
G4 Play: harpia|
G4/G4 Plus: athene
|Slogan||Never miss out on what matters most|
|First released||May 17, 2016|
|Predecessor||Moto G (3rd generation)|
Moto E3 Power|
G4 Play: 144.4 mm (5.69 in) H
76.6 mm (3.02 in) W
9.8 mm (0.39 in) D
G4 Play: 137 g (4.8 oz) |
G4, G4 Plus: 155 g (5.5 oz)
Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow"|
Upgradeable to 7.0 "Nougat"
|System on chip|
All 3 models are expandable via microSD card slot
|Removable storage||microSDXC up to 128 GB|
G4 Play: 5.0" (127 mm) 1280 x 720 (294 ppi) 720p |
G4, G4 Plus: 5.5" (140 mm) 1920 x 1080 (401 ppi) 1080p with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
|Rear camera||OmniVision Technologies PureCelPlus-S™ 13 MP (16 MP on Moto G4 Plus), f2.0 aperture, dual CCT dual tone flash, 1080p video recording @ 30fps, and slow motion record|
|Front camera||5 MP, f2.2|
|Sound||Front-ported loud speaker, 2-Mics|
|Connectivity||Micro USB, 3.5 mm headset jack|
The Moto G4 (often stylized as Moto G4) is an Android smartphone developed by Motorola Mobility, a subsidiary of Lenovo. Announced as the successor to the third-generation Moto G, it was released in Brazil and India on May 17, 2016, followed by the United States on June 28, 2016 with introduction to other markets later. The phones will receive Android security patches, but not on a monthly basis.
The Moto G4's hardware design was refreshed, featuring a "water repellent nano-coating", and a camera protrusion. However, unlike the Moto G3, the previous generation, the Moto G4 Plus does not feature IPX7 certification. The device is available in black and white-color versions, with different rear cover and accent colors available for custom order via MotoMaker. The G4 includes a 5.5-inch 1080p display, an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 system-on-chip, and 2/3 GB of RAM. The Moto G4 includes either 16 or 32 GB of internal storage. There is also a dedicated memory storage slot to expanded memory up to 128 GB via MicroSDXC. The device also comes with Moto Actions which supports and responds to motions and gestures. It has a 13-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera, and an FM radio receiver. The Moto G4 also supports 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity. The device ships with Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow".  It features a "TurboPower" charger that gives up to six hours of battery life after just 15 minutes of charging.
On December 29, 2016 Motorola started rolling out an OTA update to Android 7.0 "Nougat". Motorola has announced that the Moto G4 Plus will be upgradeable to Android 8.0 "Oreo", although no estimated date has been given.
The Moto G4 is available in a standard model, the Moto G4 Play, and the Moto G4 Plus. The Play is a lower-end model with a lower-end camera and a lower screen resolution. The base Moto G4 is a standard, sitting between the Play and the Plus. The Plus is a premium model of fourth generation Moto G which has a fingerprint sensor on the front. It features a 16-megapixel rear camera with infrared phase-detection autofocus and dual-LED dual-tone flash, up to 4 GB of RAM and up to 64 GB of internal storage.
Online retailer Amazon.com also offers a Prime Exclusive edition of the G4 (both the 16 GB and 32 GB models) for Amazon Prime members. This version is approximately $50 cheaper than its regular counterpart, and features Amazon advertisements on the lockscreen. The 'Prime Exclusive' devices hardware is identical; however, unlike most other recent Motorola Android devices, their bootloaders cannot be unlocked, thereby precluding users from installing custom firmware.
|Stat||Moto G4 Play||Moto G4||Moto G4 Plus|
|Model||XT1604 (Europe)||XT1607 (USA)
|XT1625 (USA, India)||XT1642 (Australia|
XT1644 (USA, India)
|Processor||Snapdragon 410 at 1.2GHz||Snapdragon 617 at 1.5GHz|
|Processor Cores||4 cores||8 cores (4x 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A53,|
4x 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A53 )
|GPU||Adreno 306 GPU||Adreno 405 GPU|
|RAM||1 GB||2 GB||2, 3 or 4 GB|
|Storage||16 or 32 GB||16, 32, or 64 GB|
|WiFi/Bluetooth||802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz)
Bluetooth LE 4.1
|802.11 b/g/n (2.4+5 GHz)|
Bluetooth LE 4.2
|Display Resolution||HD (1280 x 720)||Full HD (1920 x 1080)|
|Display Size||5", 294 ppi||5.5", 401 ppi|
|Rear Camera||8MP ( CMOS ) f/2.2
|13MP ( CMOS ) f/2.0
1080p30 video w/ slow-motion
|16MP ( OmniVision - OV16860 - PureCel ) |
|Front Camera||5MP f/2.2||5MP ( OmniVision - OV5693 - CMOS BSI ) 
|Battery||2800mAh removable||3000mAh non-removable|
w/ TurboPower charging
The Moto G4 was lauded as a top budget smartphone, with Android Central stating "The Moto G4 represents the ideal experience for an inexpensive Android phone and is a fantastic value." CNet called the G4 an "unbeatable bargain." Others noticed that, unlike the G3, the price of the G4 did not make it much cheaper than more powerful phones.  Moto G4 has been widely reported with battery problems, irregularity while receiving calls, switching off automatically while receiving calls or receiving data via mobile network or WIFI. 
- "New Moto G lineup brings 1080p and fingerprint sensors to mid-range phones". Ars Technica. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Motorola confirms that it will not commit to monthly security patches".
- Moray, Deepali (27 February 2017). "Motorola Moto G5 vs Moto G4: What's new".
- Singh, Deepak (17 May 2016). "Moto G4 Plus First Impression - Plus Features, Minus Charm - Smartprix Blog".
- "Moto G4 Play review: The best $150 you can spend on a modern Android smartphone Review | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Lenovo fragments Moto G into three models, because it has no idea what we want". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Moto unveils G4 and G4 Plus smartphones in India". ABP Live. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Moto G4 will get Android 8.0 Oreo after all, but it might take a while". 9to5Google. 18 September 2017.
- "Meet the Moto G family". Motorola. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Dolcourt, Jessica (20 July 2016). "Amazon's $150 Moto G4 is an even better deal than the original (hands-on)". CNet.com. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "What devices are supported by the Bootloader Unlock program?". Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "Moto G Play - Unlocked Android Smartphone". Motorola - Unlocked Android Smartphones. Motorola Mobility LLC. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Moto G - Unlocked Android Smartphone". Motorola - Unlocked Android Smartphones. Motorola Mobility LLC. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Moto G Plus - Unlocked Android Smartphone". Motorola - Unlocked Android Smartphones. Motorola Mobility LLC. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Motorola Moto G4 Plus - Specifications".
- "Moto G Plus - Unlocked Android Smartphone | Motorola". Motorola. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Martonik, Andrew. "The Best Cheap Android Smartphones of 2017". Android Central. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Hoyle, Andrew. "Motorola Moto G4 review". CNet. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Gibbs, Samuel. "Moto G4 and G4 Plus review: great phone, no longer quite so budget". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- Motorola/Lenovo Service forum https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Poor-Battery-Life-Of-G4-Plus/td-p/3567550. Missing or empty