Moto G4 Plus XT1641 LATAM Model with original OS Android 6.0 Marshmallow
|Codename||G4 Play: harpia|
G4/G4 Plus: athene
|Slogan||Never miss out on what matters most|
|First released||May 17, 2016|
|Predecessor||Moto G (3rd generation)|
|Related||Moto E3 Power|
|Dimensions||G4 Play: 144.4 mm (5.69 in) H |
72 mm (2.8 in) W
9.9 mm (0.39 in) D G4, G4 Plus: 153 mm (6.0 in) H
76.6 mm (3.02 in) W
9.8 mm (0.39 in) D
|Mass||G4 Play: 137 g (4.8 oz) |
G4, G4 Plus: 155 g (5.5 oz)
|Operating system||Original: Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow"|
Current: Android 7.0 "Nougat" (8.1 "Oreo" on G4 Plus)
|System on chip|
All 3 models are expandable via microSD card slot
|Removable storage||microSDXC up to 128 GB|
|Display||G4 Play: 5.0" (127 mm) 1280 x 720 (294 ppi) 720p |
G4, G4 Plus: 5.5" (140 mm) 1920 x 1080 (401 ppi) 1080p with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
|Rear camera||13 MP (16 MP on Moto G4 Plus), f2.0 aperture, dual CCT dual tone flash, 1080p video recording @ 30fps, and slow motion record|
|Front camera||5 MP, f2.2|
|Sound||Front-ported loud speaker, 2-Mics|
|Connectivity||Micro USB, 3.5 mm headset jack|
Moto G4 is a line of Android smartphones manufactured by Motorola Mobility, a division of Lenovo. They are the successor to the third-generation Moto G, and were first released in Brazil and India on May 17, 2016, with other markets following.
In comparison to the previous, singular Moto G models, the G4 fragmented the line into three models, with the base model joined by a low-end Moto G4 Play and a higher-end Moto G4 Plus with an upgraded camera and a fingerprint reader.
The Moto G4's hardware design was refreshed, featuring a "water repellent nano-coating", and a camera protrusion. However, unlike the Moto G3, the previous generation, the Moto G4 Plus does not feature IPX7 certification. The G4 was available in black and white-colored versions, with different rear cover and accent colors available for custom order via MotoMaker. The G4 includes a 5.5-inch 1080p display, an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 system-on-chip, and 2/3 GB of RAM. The Moto G4 includes either 16 or 32 GB of internal storage, expandable via MicroSD. It has a 13-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The Moto G4 also supports 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity and an FM radio receiver.
The devices shipped with Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow". Motorola stated that the Moto G4 line would receive occasional security patches. On December 29, 2016, Motorola began rolling out an update to Android 7.0 "Nougat". In September 2017, Motorola stated that the Moto G4 Plus would receive an update to Android 8.1 "Oreo", although no estimated date was given. An Android 8.1 update was released in February 2019.
The Moto G4 is available in a standard model, as well as the Moto G4 Play and Moto G4 Plus. The Play is a low-end model with reduced specifications, as well as an 8-megapixel camera and 720p display. The Plus model is a high-end version that features a 16-megapixel camera with dual-tone flash and infrared autofocus, as well as an integrated fingerprint reader, up to 4 GB of RAM, and up to 64 GB of internal storage.
The G4 and G4 Play were also sold as part of Amazon.com's Prime Exclusive program, which offered a discounted version of the phone to Amazon Prime subscribers, subsidized by the display of personalized advertising on the lock screen. Due to this, the Prime Exclusive models of the device are ineligible for Motorola's bootloader unlocking program.
|Stat||Moto G4 Play||Moto G4||Moto G4 Plus|
|Model||XT1604 (Europe)||XT1607 (USA)
|XT1625 (USA, India)
XT1644 (Canada, USA, India)
|Processor||Snapdragon 410 at 1.2GHz||Snapdragon 617 at 1.5GHz|
|Processor Cores||4 cores||8 cores (4x 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A53,|
4x 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A53 )
|GPU||Adreno 306 GPU||Adreno 405 GPU|
|RAM||1 GB||2 GB||2, 3 or 4 GB|
|Storage||16 or 32 GB||16, 32, or 64 GB|
|WiFi/Bluetooth||802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz)
Bluetooth LE 4.1
|802.11 b/g/n (2.4+5 GHz)|
Bluetooth LE 4.2
|Display Resolution||HD (1280 x 720)||Full HD (1920 x 1080)|
|Display Size||5", 294 ppi||5.5", 401 ppi|
|Rear Camera||8MP ( CMOS ) f/2.2
|13MP ( CMOS ) f/2.0
1080p30 video w/ slow-motion
|16MP ( OmniVision - OV16860 - PureCel ) |
|Front Camera||5MP f/2.2||5MP ( OmniVision - OV5693 - CMOS BSI ) 
|Battery||2800mAh removable||3000mAh non-removable|
w/ TurboPower charging
This section's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Moto G4 was lauded as a top budget smartphone, with Android Central concluding that it "represents the ideal experience for an inexpensive Android phone and is a fantastic value." CNET called the G4 an "unbeatable bargain." Others noticed that, unlike the third-generation Moto G, the price of the G4 did not make it much cheaper than more powerful phones.
- "New Moto G lineup brings 1080p and fingerprint sensors to mid-range phones". Ars Technica. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Moto G4 Play review: The best $150 you can spend on a modern Android smartphone". ZDNet. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Lenovo fragments Moto G into three models, because it has no idea what we want". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Amadeo, Ron (2016-07-26). "Motorola confirms that it will not commit to monthly security patches". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- "Android 7.0 Nougat update starts hitting Motorola Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- Vasile, Cosmin. "Android 8.1 Oreo finally arrives for the Moto G4 Plus in the U.S." PhoneArena. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- "Info about athene". LineageOS.
- "LineageOS drops support for multiple devices due to inactive maintainers". xda-developers.
- "Moto G4 Play joins Amazon's ad-injected Prime phone deals". Engadget. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- "Motorola confirms the bootloader on the Amazon Prime Exclusive Moto G4 can't be unlocked". Android Police. 2016-07-20. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- Dolcourt, Jessica (20 July 2016). "Amazon's $150 Moto G4 is an even better deal than the original (hands-on)". CNET. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Moto G Play - Unlocked Android Smartphone". Motorola - Unlocked Android Smartphones. Motorola Mobility LLC. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Moto G - Unlocked Android Smartphone". Motorola - Unlocked Android Smartphones. Motorola Mobility LLC. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Moto G Plus - Unlocked Android Smartphone". Motorola - Unlocked Android Smartphones. Motorola Mobility LLC. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Moto G Play - Android Smartphone". Motorola. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "motorola IN - Android™ cellphones & modular smartphones". www.motorola.in. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "motorola AU - unlocked cell phones and modular smartphones". www.motorola.com.au. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Moto G Plus - Motorola". web.archive.org. 16 December 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Motorola Moto G4 Plus - Specifications".
- "Moto G Plus - Unlocked Android Smartphone | Motorola". Motorola. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Martonik, Andrew. "The Best Cheap Android Smartphones of 2017". Android Central. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Hoyle, Andrew (27 July 2016). "Motorola Moto G4 review". CNet. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Gibbs, Samuel (17 June 2016). "Moto G4 and G4 Plus review: great phone, no longer quite so budget". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 September 2017.