Moto Racer 2
|Moto Racer 2|
|Developer(s)||Delphine Software International|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation, Microsoft Windows|
Moto Racer 2 is a motocross racing game developed by Delphine and published by Electronic Arts for the PlayStation and the PC. The PC version was released in Japan on April 27, 1998, in Europe during October, 1998, and in North America on December 30, 1998; the PlayStation version was released in Japan and Europe on September 29, 1998, and in North America on October 17, 1998. It is part of the Moto Racer series, and is the sequel to Moto Racer.
Moto Racer 2 has more courses than its predecessor, and added a level editor. Moto Racer 2 garnered positive reviews from critics, praising its graphics and variety of gameplay. As of 2010, Moto Racer 2 has received a compilation score of 83% for PlayStation and a 72% for the PC from GameRankings.
In Moto Racer 2, the player controls a motorcyclist on various terrain; the game offers motocross races and superbike street races. The game contains 32 race tracks and 16 motorcycles split evenly between motocross and superbike, and allows for the player to edit any track in the game using the level editor. It contains many of the same features as the previous game, including a split screen mode for the PlayStation version, and the player is allowed to choose between terrain set-ups prior to games. The game allows players to change between simulation mode and arcade mode to choose between a more realistic or playful experience.
Moto Racer 2 runs on a modified version of the original Moto Racer's engine, giving the game detailed textures and a faster frame rate. The player can move into a cockpit view during the game, allowing the player to see the entire environment as they drive.
Moto Racer 2 garnered positive reviews from critics for its variety and its level editor; it has received a compilation score of 83% for PlayStation and a 72% for the PC from GameRankings. IGN gave both versions of the game Editor's Choice awards.
IGN's Doug Perry said that Moto Racer 2 was the best motorcycle racer seen on the PlayStation. He praised the game's accessibility to newcomers and variety in course collection; however, he criticized the game's mediocre graphics. GameSpot's Ryan MacDonald felt that the game wasn't as ground-breaking as the first in the series, but praised the DualShock control scheme and liked the improved visuals.
GameSpot's Michael Ryan noted that the game disappointed when compared to Motocross Madness, but praised the game for fast paced arcade action. IGN's Tal Blevins disagreed with Ryan's assessment, feeling that the game appealed to hardcore gamers and casual gamers alike, and praised the game's realistic physics engine.
- Blevins, Tal (January 18, 1999). "Moto Racer 2 Review - PC". IGN. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- Ryan, Michael E. (February 4, 1999). "Moto Racer 2 Review for PC". GameSpot. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- MacDonald, Ryan (October 2, 1998). "Moto Racer 2 Review for PS". GameSpot. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- Perry, Doug (September 18, 1998). "Moto Racer 2 Review". IGN. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- "Moto Racer 2 for PlayStation". GameRankings. Retrieved February 20, 2010.
- "Moto Racer 2 for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved February 20, 2010.
- Randell, Kim (1998). "PlayStation Review: Moto Racer 2". Computer and Video Games. Archived from the original on 24 June 2007. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Edge staff (February 1999). "Moto Racer 2 (PC)". Edge (68).
- "Moto Racer 2 (PS)". Electronic Gaming Monthly. 1998.
- Bad Hare (1998). "Moto Racer 2 for PlayStation on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 20 August 2004. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- MacDonald, Ryan (2 October 1998). "Moto Racer 2 Review (PS)". GameSpot. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- Ryan, Michael E. (4 February 1999). "Moto Racer 2 Review (PC)". GameSpot. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- "Moto Racer 2". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. 1998.
- "Moto Racer 2". PC Gamer UK. 1999.
- Hill, Steve (1999). "PC Review: Moro Racer 2". PC Zone. Retrieved 26 November 2014.[dead link]
- "Review: Moto Racer 2". PSM. 1998.