Motor neuron disease
|Motor neuron disease|
|motor neurone disease|
|Classification and external resources|
A motor neuron disease, also spelled motor neurone disease (MND) is any of five neurological disorders that selectively affect motor neurons, the cells that control voluntary muscles of the body. These five conditions are amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, primary lateral sclerosis, progressive muscular atrophy, progressive bulbar palsy and pseudobulbar palsy. They are neurodegenerative in nature and cause increasing disability and eventually, death.
Technically the term "motor neuron disease" includes five diseases: amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), primary lateral sclerosis, progressive muscular atrophy, progressive bulbar palsy and pseudobulbar palsy.
In the United States the term is often used interchangeably with ALS. In the United Kingdom it is spelled "motor neurone disease" (MND) and is the usual term for ALS, and is sometimes used for the group of motor neuron diseases.
While MND refers to a specific subset of similar diseases, there are numerous other diseases of motor neurons that are referred to collectively as "motor neuron disorders", for instance disease belonging to spinal muscular atrophies. However, they are not classified as "motor neuron diseases" by the tenth International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10), which is the definition followed in this article.
|Type||UMN degeneration||LMN degeneration|
|Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)||Yes||Yes|
|Primary lateral sclerosis (PLS)||Yes||No|
|Progressive muscular atrophy (PMA)||No||Yes|
|Progressive bulbar palsy (PBP)||No||Yes, bulbar region|
|Pseudobulbar palsy||Yes, bulbar region||No|
- Neilson, Stuart; Rose, Frank Clifford. Motor Neurone Disease: The 'at Your Fingertips' Guide. Class Publishing Ltd. p. 2. ISBN 9781859590478. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Motor Neuron Diseases Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)". www.ninds.nih.gov. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Ellison, edited by Seth Love, David N. Louis, David W. (2008). Greenfield's neuropathology (8th ed.). London: Hodder Arnold. p. 947. ISBN 9780340906811.
- "About MND". motor neurone disease association. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Different types of MND". motor neurone disease association. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motor neuron disease.|