Motorcycle Action Group
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2020)
|Founded at||United Kingdom|
|Purpose||Riders' rights advocate|
The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) is a motorcycle riders' rights group based in the United Kingdom.
MAG was founded in 1973 by Dennis Howard. MAG immediately moved to protest newly introduced UK legislation, the 'The Motor Cycles (Wearing of Helmets) Regulations 1973'. The legislation made the wearing of a motorcycle helmet mandatory when riding a motorcycle on UK roads, with limited exceptions.
MAG has since expanded its activities significantly, and campaigns, advocates and educates across a broad range of topics relating to motorcycling and issues that might impact upon riders' rights. The organisation is led by volunteers, and focuses its campaigns on the protection and promotion of motorcycling. MAG represents riders of all abilities and experience levels, and supports parties and rallies, motorcycle sport and touring.
MAG operates in a distributed democratic fashion. Local / regional groups formed of individual and other members elect representatives who lead the local group and contribute to national decision-making, although the MAG Annual General Conference does not exclude individual members. Local groups are often highly active, undertaking a range of activities directly relating to motorcycling in the group's area.
The central MAG organisation, based in Warwickshire, maintains a small permanent staff including former UK Member of Parliament, Lembit Opik. MAG is involved with, or contributes to, a range of high level bodies including the UK Department for Transport Road Safety Delivery Group.
In 2003, some of MAG's motorcycle safety and other non-political activities were moved into the newly formed charitable arm, the MAG foundation, to enable these activities to be supported directly in a tax-efficient way.
MAG is a founder member of the Federation of European Motorcyclists, now the Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations.
- Motorcycling advocacy
- American Motorcyclist Association
- British Motorcyclists Federation
- Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations
- Helmet Law Defense League (HLDL)
- "Motorcycle Action Group Funding and Organisation". Motorcycle Action Group. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- Castle, Simon. "History of the Motorcycle Action group - a captivating story". Motorcycle Action Group. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- "The Motor Cycles (Wearing of Helmets) Regulations 1973". Legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- "About Us - The Motorcycle Action Group". Motorcycle Action Group. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- "Annual General Conference". Motorcycle Action Group. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- "Network". Motorcycle Action Group. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- Young, Mark (23 November 2013). "Lembit Öpik adds passion and power to MAG's Communications and Campaigns Team". Motorcycle Action Group.
- Brown, Colin (23 September 2020). "MAG delighted to join the DfT Road Safety Delivery Group". Motorcycle Action Group. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- "Charity framework". Charity-commission.gov.uk. Retrieved 19 June 2012.