|Former editors||Fred Rau, Lee Parks, Dave Searle|
|Final issue||January 17, 2020|
Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) was a monthly motorcycling magazine that reviewed motorcycles and accessories, and covered motorcycle safety, training and industry news. Unlike most publications, it was wholly subscriber-supported and did not accept advertising.
History and profile
Roger Hull founded the magazine in 1969, with the name Road Rider, and was publisher and editor until 1982. The title was changed to Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) in 1991, when it became subscriber-supported and ad-free.
While not financially beholden to advertisers, Motorcycle Consumer News was dependent on motorcycle manufacturers to furnish the motorcycles tested, rather than anonymously purchasing test vehicles, as is done by Consumer Reports.
Contributors have included many motorcycle training and safety specialists, including Motorcycle Hall of Fame member David L. Hough, Ken Condon, Lee Parks, Walt Fulton, and Gary LaPlante. Numerous physician contributors have included Flash Gordon M.D., Cary Tanner M.D., John Alevizos D.O., Charles L. Rosen M.D., Ph.D., and psychologist Mark Barnes Ph.D. Additional contributors include Motorcycle Mechanics Institute curriculum developer Kevin O'Shaughnessy, global motorcycle adventurer and author Gregory W. Frazier Ph.D., motorcycle designer Glynn Kerr, Moshe K. Levy, and Mike Kneebone, president of the Iron Butt Association.
Motorcycle Consumer News was printed monthly, and had also been available digitally since 2013.
On February 1, 2020, Motorcycle Consumer News publisher Lumina Media LLC announced that it had been dissolved as of that date and had ceased its business operations, due to the company having insufficient assets to satisfy all of its liabilities. The last publication of Motorcycle Consumer News was distributed on January 17, 2020.
- Editor's introduction, MCN, retrieved October 1, 2019
- Maher, Kevin; Greisler, Ben (1998), Chilton's Motorcycle Handbook, Haynes North America, pp. 4–6, ISBN 0-8019-9099-8, retrieved February 23, 2010,
Motorcycle Consumer News, or MCN, is one of our favorite bike magazines, because they do not accept advertising and aren't afraid to say if a product stinks.
- "Roger Hull". Motorcycle Museum. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- American Motorcyclist. American Motorcyclist Assoc. May 1995. p. 62. ISSN 0277-9358. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- "How Consumer Reports tests cars", Consumer Reports, Consumers Union of U.S, retrieved February 23, 2010
- Topousis, Tom (September 5, 1993). "BIKERS REV UP, IN A SUBTLE WAY". The Record. Archived from the original on November 3, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- "RIDE OF HIS LIFE". Gaston Observer. September 7, 1995. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- "MCN Digital Archive". Retrieved October 1, 2019.