Motorola RAZR i
|Slogan||"The full screen phone"|
|Compatible networks||2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE – 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz B1, B8 Rx Diversity|
3G UMTS/HSPA+/W-CDMA – 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
|First released||18 September 2012|
|Related||Droid RAZR M|
|Dimensions||4.82 in × 2.39 in × 0.33 in (122.43 mm × 60.71 mm × 8.38 mm)|
|Mass||4.44 oz (126 g)|
|Operating system||Android 4.4.2 KitKat|
|System on chip||Intel Atom Z2480 Medfield|
|CPU||2 GHz single-core Saltwell with HT|
|GPU||PowerVR SGX 540 @ 400 MHz|
|Memory||1 GB RAM|
|Storage||8 GB flash memory|
|Removable storage||microSD supports up to 32 GB|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch capacitive touchscreen|
|Display||4.3″(10.9cm) edge-to-edge qHD Super AMOLED Advanced touchscreen, 540×960 pixels (256 dpi), 16M colors|
|Rear camera||8 megapixels HD video|
|Front camera||VGA (0.3 MP)|
|Connectivity||NFC, Bluetooth, Wifi|
|Other||Corning Gorilla Glass 2, DuPont Kevlar fibre|
The Motorola RAZR i is the first smartphone by Motorola to feature an Intel Atom "Medfield" processor/SOC of the x86/IA-32 architecture, running a x86 port of the Android operating system. It is also the first smartphone with a CPU clocked at 2,0 GHz in its stock configuration.
A special China-only version of the smartphone, the RAZR i MT788 was announced in November, 2012. Externally, it looks identical to its sibling Motorola RAZR M launched two weeks earlier in the US, with which it also shares many of its specs.
The RAZR i (XT890) is an almost identical edition except it has an Intel Atom Z2460 processor. This means it has more processing power and imaging power; however, it lacks LTE support. It does not fully support many high-end apps and games designed for ARM processors until these apps or games are ported and recompiled for Intel compatibility. However, because this is one of the only (if not the only) device using a x86 processor instead of an ARM processor, developers might not bother porting their applications unless there is more of a market for them.
The GPU in the RAZR i's Intel Atom Z2460 processor is a PowerVR SGX540, a faster-clocked version of the same GPU as in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and many older smartphones such as the original Samsung Galaxy S. While the RAZR i's raw CPU processing power can be excellent for tasks such as web browsing, its GPU can be considerably slower than the RAZR M, which uses a Snapdragon S4 CPU featuring an Adreno 225 GPU. This may be alleviated somewhat by the Atom Z2460 being capable of providing much greater memory bandwidth, which has traditionally been a severe performance-constraining factor in ARM-based chips.
- Operating system: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- SoC: Intel Atom Z2460 Medfield
- CPU Architecture: x86 (IA-32)
- Processor: 32nm, 2000 MHz Saltwell with hyper threading (2 threads), single Penwell core, 568Kb total cache (MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, NX/XD, HT, BPT)
- Memory: 1024 MB LPDDR2-800 RAM / 8192 MB ROM
- Available user storage space: ~5 GB
- Storage expansion: microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB
- Display size: 4.3 inches
- Resolution: 540 x 960 pixels
- Pixel density: 256 ppi
- Technology: Super AMOLED Advanced
- Colors: 16777216
- Touchscreen: Capacitive, Multi-touch
- Special Features: Light sensor, Proximity sensor, Scratch-resistant glass, splash resistant coating
- Rear Camera:8 megapixels
- Front-Facing Camera: 0.3 megapixels VGA
- Features: Back-illuminated sensor (BSI), Auto focus, Burst mode, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR)
- Camcorder: 1920x1080 (1080p HD) (30 fps)
- Features: Video calling
- GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- UMTS:850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
Connectivity and Communication
- Data: DC-HSDPA, 42 Mbit/s; HSDPA, 21 Mbit/s; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbit/s/s, UMTS, EDGE, GPRS
- Positioning: GPS, A-GPS
- Communication: Wifi, NFC, Bluetooth
- Capacity: 2000 mAh
- "Motorola announces Intel-powered RAZR i, launches in Europe next month". engadget.com.
- "Intel and Motorola deliver the first 2GHz smartphone with Android-powered RAZR i". betanews.com.
- "Motorola's RAZR i MT788 announced with 2GHz Intel chip, heading to China Mobile next month". engadget.com.
- "Motorola RAZR M 4G LTE pics and specs revealed: 4.3-inch qHD display, ICS, 1.5GHz dual-core". engadget.com.
- "The worlds first 2Ghz Phone". TalkWorld. Archived from the original on 23 December 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Motorola RAZR i Fact Sheet". Motorola.
- Shimpi, Anand Lal. "Motorola Hits 2GHz with Intel Powered RAZR i". AnandTech. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Bader, Daniel. "Motorola and Intel launch the RAZR i with 2Ghz Medfield processor". MobileSyrup. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Lal Shimpi, Anand. "Intel's Medfield & Atom Z2460 Arrive for Smartphones: It's Finally Here". AnandTech. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Smith, Van. "The Coming War: ARM versus x86". Bright Side of News. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Intel Atom Z2480 specifications, CPU World