Moulin Rouge! (musical)
|Basis||Moulin Rouge! |
by Baz Luhrmann
|Premiere||July 10, 2018Colonial Theatre:|
The musical premiered on July 10, 2018 at the Emerson Colonial Theatre in Boston. On November 19, 2018, it was announced that Moulin Rouge! would open on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, beginning on June 28, 2019 with an opening night set for July 25.
In 2002–2003, there was speculation about the possibility of a stage musical based on Moulin Rouge!, possibly in Las Vegas, but there had been no public talks in the years since. Some sources claimed in 2006 that the director, Baz Luhrmann, had approached the leads of the film, Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, to star in the potential stage version.
Moulin Rouge! is set in Montmartre Quarter of Paris, France, during the Belle Epoque at the turn of the 20th century. It is a fictional story about Christian, a young composer, who ends up falling in love with cabaret actress Satine, who is the star of the Moulin Rouge. Similar to the movie, the musical's score will weave together original songs with popular music "including songs that have been written in the 17 years since the film's premiere".
Moulin Rouge! was scheduled to begin preview performances on June 27, 2018, at the Emerson Colonial Theatre in Boston. The production was scheduled to officially open on July 22, 2018, and would complete its limited run on August 5, 2018. On June 6, 2018, it was announced that the Boston production would be extended by 16 additional performances, running through August 19, 2018. Construction delays in renovating the Emerson Colonial Theatre resulted in the premiere date being pushed back to July 10, 2018. The production has choreography by Sonya Tayeh, sets by Derek McLane, costumes by Catherine Zuber, lighting design by Justin Townsend and sound design by Peter Hylenski.
During an Instagram takeover by a cast member on July 21, 2018, it was reported that the show is scheduled to move to Broadway in the summer of 2019. On November 19, 2018, it was announced that Moulin Rouge! would open on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, beginning on June 28, 2019 with an opening night set for July 25.
|Harold Zidler||Eric Anderson||Danny Burstein|
|The Duke of Monroth||Tam Mutu|
|Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec||Sahr Ngaujah|
|Santiago, the Narcoleptic Argentinean||Joel Perez||Ricky Rojas|
|Nini Legs-in-the-Air||Robyn Hurder|
|La Chocolat||Jacqueline B. Arnold|
|Baby Doll||Jeigh Madjus|
- 2018 Boston World Premiere Production
† Featured in the 2001 film.
*Official musical number titles not released. Scenes and/or plot points provided.
- Evans, Greg (April 4, 2018). "'Moulin Rouge! The Musical' Announces Cast For Pre-Broadway Boston Premiere". Deadline. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "Moulin Rouge! The Musical Sets Dates, Theater & Casting for Broadway Premiere". Broadway.com. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "Moulin Rouge – Stage Production". Baz the Great. Archived from the original on March 3, 2009. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Gorgan, Elena (June 20, 2006). "Moulin Rouge on the Stage? – The director Baz Luhrmann has already approached Kidman and McGregor with the offer". Softpedia. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Lang, Brent (September 1, 2016). "'Moulin Rouge!' Being Developed Into a Stage Musical". Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Hetrick, Adam (October 31, 2017). "Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo Lead Moulin Rouge! Lab". Playbill. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "Moulin Rouge! The Musical". Broadway.com. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- McPhee, Ryan (April 4, 2018). "Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo Will Star in Boston World Premiere of Moulin Rouge! Musical". Playbill. Retrieved April 15, 2018.
- McPhee, Ryan (August 3, 2018). "World Premiere of Moulin Rouge! Musical Officially Opens in Boston Before Broadway Bow". Playbill. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- Hetrick, Adam (June 6, 2018). "Broadway-Aimed Moulin Rouge! Extends Boston Run". Playbill. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- "MOULIN ROUGE! Delays Boston Premiere to July 10th, Full New Dates". Broadway World. June 18, 2018. Retrieved June 18, 2018.