Moulmein-Kallang Group Representation Constituency
Moulmein-Kallang Group Representation Constituency (Chinese: 摩棉-加冷集选区) was a four-member Group Representation Constituency (GRC), comprising several city suburbs surrounding the Central Area of Singapore. It existed from 2011 to 2015.
The GRC was formed in the 2011 general election, and absorbed most parts of the Jalan Besar GRC and the Moulmein ward of Tanjong Pagar GRC. The GRC was broken up in 2015 General Election, with the above process being reversed and the Moulmein ward distributed among other GRCs.
Moulmein-Kallang GRC was co-led by Minister of Communications and Information and Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs, Yaacob Ibrahim, who now leads the Jalan Besar GRC. It was led by then-Minister of Transport Lui Tuck Yew.
The ward saw a contest in the 2011 general election between the incumbent People's Action Party and a rookie team from the Workers' Party of Singapore. The National Solidarity Party had expressed interest in contesting the constituency, but dropped out to avoid a three-cornered fight. The PAP emerged victor with 44,828 votes or 58.56% of the total ballot for the electoral division. Incidentally, this was the highest vote percentage for the PAP in a Workers' Party-contested constituency.
Members of Parliament
|Election||Jalan Besar||Kampong Glam||Kolam Ayer||Moulmein|
|2006||Jalan Besar GRC||Tanjong Pagar GRC|
|2011||Edwin Tong Chun Fai||Denise Phua Lay Peng||Yaacob Ibrahim||Lui Tuck Yew|
|2015||Jalan Besar GRC as Whampoa, Kolam Ayer & Kampong Glam||Tanjong Pagar GRC
- Moulmein - Moulmein Road, Ah Hood Road, Balestier Road, Cambridge Road, KK Hospital, Little India (Tekka part), Lornie Road, MacRitchie Reservoir, Mount Pleasant and University Road.
- Jalan Besar - Jalan Besar (incl. King George's Avenue), Bendemeer Road, Boon Keng Road, Upper Boon Keng Road, Lorong 1 Geylang and Lorong 3 Geylang.
- Kampong Glam - Kampong Glam, Beach Road, Bras Basah, Bugis Street, City Hall, Clarke Quay, Crawford Road, Hong Lim Park, Marina Centre, Nicoll Highway, North Bridge Road, Rochor Centre, Selegie Road and Waterloo Street.
- Kolam Ayer - Geylang Bahru, Kallang Bahru, Sims Avenue, Sims Drive, Sims Place， Sims Vista and St George's Road.
In GE 2015, the Moulmein division was revised into four parts :
- Blocks 677 & 681-685 of the Perumal and Race Course Roads, Tessensohn Road and Blocks 51 - 54 of Kent Road moved to Jalan Besar GRC
- Block 69 of Moulmein Road, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Novena and Balestier areas moved to Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC
- Adam Road (Eng Neo, Dunearn and Watten Estates) moved to Holland-Bukit Timah GRC
- The remainder moved to Tanjong Pagar GRC and became Moulmein-Cairnhill, which absorbed the northern half of Tanglin-Cairnhill as well.
Candidates and Results
Elections in 2010s
|PAP||Lui Tuck Yew
|WP||Mohd Rahizan Ya'acob
Toh Hong Boon
|PAP win (new seat)|
|This Singapore-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|