Moultrie Municipal Airport
|Moultrie Municipal Airport|
2006 USGS airphoto
|Owner||City of Moultrie|
|Elevation AMSL||294 ft / 90 m|
Moultrie Municipal Airport (IATA: MGR, ICAO: KMGR, FAA LID: MGR) is a city owned, public use airport located six nautical miles (7 mi, 11 km) south of the central business district of Moultrie, a city in Colquitt County, Georgia, United States. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation facility. The airport does not have scheduled commercial airline service.
Moultrie Airport was built sometime before World War II. During the war, it was used as an auxiliary training airfield for Spence Army Airfield, located a few miles to the northeast. Known as Spence AAF Auxiliary No. 3 It hosted the 455th School Squadron (Special) beginning on August 1, 1941 while still being used as a civil airport.
The airfield was released from military use on December 15, 1945 and returned to full civil use as a public airport.
Facilities and aircraft
Moultrie Municipal Airport covers an area of 369 acres (149 ha) at an elevation of 294 feet (90 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 4/22 is 5,129 by 100 feet (1,563 x 30 m) and 16/34 is 3,878 by 75 feet (1,182 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending August 11, 2010, the airport had 15,500 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 42 per day. At that time there were 29 aircraft based at this airport: 93% single-engine and 7% multi-engine.
- FAA Airport Master Record for MGR ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. External link in
- This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- Manning, Thomas A. (2005), History of Air Education and Training Command, 1942-2002. Office of History and Research, Headquarters, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas ASIN: B000NYX3PC
- MGR - Moultrie Muni (Moultrie) from Georgia DOT
- Aerial image as of January 1993 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for MGR, effective June 22, 2017
- Resources for this airport: