This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The wrapper of the Mounds bar
|Product type||Coconut candy bar|
|Owner||The Hershey Company|
|Related brands||Almond Joy|
|Previous owners||Peter Paul|
Mounds is a candy bar made by The Hershey Company. It consists of a filling made of shredded coconut, which is coated in dark chocolate. The Mounds bar's sibling is Almond Joy, which is made the same way but with milk chocolate and a whole almond crowning the coconut.
Mounds' original slogan, "Indescribably Delicious", was created when Mounds ran a contest to come up with the best two words to sell candy. Leon Weiss, who came up with the slogan, won $10. Mounds continues to use the slogan in advertising and on the wrapper.
Mounds uses a packaging and logo design similar to its sister product, with Almond Joy's blue replaced by red, and the two candies are often advertised together. The candy's 1970s ad campaign used a jingle, "Sometimes you feel like a nut / sometimes you don't / Almond Joy's got nuts / Mounds don't", written by Leon Carr.
A limited-edition Mounds Island Orange candy bar was introduced in 2006 with orange-colored and orange-flavored coconut.
Originally invented by candy maker Vincent Nitido of West Haven, Connecticut, Mounds was created in 1920 as a single piece for 5 cents. In 1929, the Peter Paul Candy Manufacturing Company purchased the line and began production. The format changed to two pieces that still sold for 5 cents, with the price rising to 10 cents after World War II. Mounds was made in milk chocolate as well.
During World War II, Peter Paul was faced with severe shortages of sugar and coconut which had been shipped from the Philippines before war broke out. Rather than sacrifice quality, the company discontinued some of its lesser selling brands and concentrated production on the Mounds candy bar. Over the years, Peter Paul added several products to its line, including the Almond Joy candy bar and York Peppermint Patties. Cadbury and Peter Paul merged in 1978, and Hershey Foods purchased the company's U.S. operations in 1988.
In popular culture
- "TeeVee Toons - The Commercials Vol. 1 Soundtrack CD". 1989. Retrieved March 23, 2018.
- Lisa Flaherty. "A Few Questions about Almond Joy, Mounds & Peter Paul". WASAW. Retrieved March 23, 2018.
- "America's 10 Favorite Chocolate Candies". The Daily Meal. 2015-04-21. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "We compared the UK's favorite chocolate to the version that's sold in the US — and we were surprised by what we found". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "Finders Keepers". IMDb. 29 September 2013.
- Royal, Derek Parker, ed. (2005). "Philip Roth: New Perspectives on an American Author". Greenwood Publishing Group – via Google Books.
- Carly Mallenbaum (May 17, 2015). "Louis C.K. jokes about child molesters on 'SNL,' things get uncomfortable". USA TODAY.