Mounds View High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mounds View High School|
Mounds View High School from the northeast
|School district||Mounds View Public Schools|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.81|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Athletics conference||Suburban East Conference|
|Team name||Mounds View Mustangs|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Vice principal(s)||Michael Schwartz, Gregory Martin|
Mounds View High School is a public high school located in Arden Hills, Minnesota, United States. A part of the Mounds View Public Schools district, the high school is located in a suburban area approximately nine miles north of downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul and includes seven cities with 76,193 residents. As of 2014–15 the school had an enrollment of 1735, with a student/teacher ratio of 21.81. The school's enrollment by race/ethnicity breaks down as follows: Asian 13.2%; Black 3.6%; Hispanic 2.6%; White 79.2%; Other 1.4%. It includes grades 9–12 and was founded in 1955. It is one of two high schools that are in the Mounds View Public school district (621), the other being Irondale High School. Most residents of Mounds View, Minnesota, actually attend Irondale High School.
Academics and recognition
95% of students feel supported by their teachers and 92% feel respected by their fellow students. Mounds View High School was named among the best high schools in the nation by U.S. News & World Report (top 15 in the state) for exceeding expectations when it comes to student performance on reading & math tests, and for preparing students for college. The average ACT score at Mounds View High School is 25.4 (2016) compared to the Minnesota state average of 21.1. 99% of the class takes the ACT exam.
Activities and sports
- Adaptive Athletics
- Anime Club
- Art Club
- Clay Target Club
- Cross Country*
- Dance Team
- Diversity Council
- Drone Club
- Econ Team
- Euro Challenge
- National Economics Challenge
- Personal Finance Decathlon
- Startup MV
- Foreign Language Club
- French Club
- German Club
- Math Team
- Mock Trial
- Music: various band, choir, and orchestra ensembles
- Mustang Mentors
- Newspaper – Class (Mounds View Viewer)
- Peer Helpers
- Photo Club
- Quiz Bowl
- Science Bowl
- Science Olympiad
- Skiing (Nordic and Alpine)*
- Skills USA
- Spanish Club
- Student Council
- Volunteer Club
- Weight Training
- Yearbook – Class
* Designates activities that offer both a boys' team and a girls' team. Source:
- Kate Brown, governor of Oregon
- Kelly Catlin, Olympian for Rio 2016
- Mark Hamburger, professional baseball player
- Nick Horvath, professional basketball player
- Mark Landsberger, professional basketball player
- Rob McClanahan, professional hockey player
- Seth Rosin, professional baseball player
- Billy Turner, professional football player
- Adam Weber, professional football player
- Yishan Wong, former CEO of Reddit and former Director of Engineering at Facebook
- "MOUNDS VIEW SENIOR HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Mounds View High School". National Center for Education Statistices.
- "Mounds View Senior High 2007" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Education. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "U.S. News & World Report - Best high schools in Minnesota".
- "Mounds View High School Fact Sheet".
- "Mounds View High School".
- Campbell, Dave (March 1, 2015). "Back with Minnesota, rehabbed Mark Hamburger relishes moment". ESPN.com. Associated Press. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- Wicker, Brian (March 21, 1999). "Mounds View Holds on: Horvath Scores 31 as Mustangs Top Last Year's 4A Champion, Minnetonka". Star Tribune. Government Printing Office. Retrieved March 1, 2015 – via United States Congressional Record.
- Crowe, Jerry (May 7, 2011). "Mark Landsberger, immortalized by Dr. J, played in 'Showtime' Lakers' background". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- Meyer, Heather (December 2, 2014). "North Oaks native Rob McClanahan speaks at Mounds View Schools event". North Oaks News. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- Long, Chris (April 1, 2014). "Shoreview's Rosin Makes MLB Debut, Father Describes His Pride". KSTP-TV. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- Tomasson, Chris (December 19, 2014). "Former Mounds View player Billy Turner hoping for NFL debut vs. Vikings". St. Paul Pioneer Press. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- Walters, Charley (October 13, 2011). "Former Gophers quarterback Adam Weber says he's keeping busy with Denver Broncos". St. Paul Pioneer Press. Retrieved March 1, 2015.