Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
|Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword|
|Genre(s)||Action RPG, Strategy, Simulation|
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword is a stand-alone expansion for the action role-playing video game Mount & Blade. The game is developed by Sich Studio and TaleWorlds and was published by Paradox Interactive in Europe. The game and its storyline is loosely based on the novel With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz, depicting Poland's 1648-51 war against Khmelnytsky Uprising in Ukraine, and its sequels dealing with the invasion of Poland by Sweden - then a major military power - and with Polish wars against the Ottoman Empire. While written long before video games were invented, Sienkiewicz's plot lines - involving sweeping grand sagas of heroic warfare - are readily adapted to the modern medium.
The gameplay is based on that of Mount & Blade: Warband, with similar controls in regards to melee and archery. Like its predecessors, With Fire and Sword is an action role-playing game. This installment allows the player to fight for one of five factions in an effort to control Eastern Europe, however only three have a proper storyline. The game is set in a later, more modern period than earlier titles with access to pistols, grenades, and other equipment of the post-medieval era.
With Fire and Sword received lukewarm reviews from critics and fans alike, bring in a Metacritic score of 68 and GameRankings score of 66.94. GameZone gave the game 7/10, stating "Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword is the right fit for anyone interested in sweeping historical epics as well as incredibly complex and realistic RPGs. A fantastic entry for fans of the genre." However, many players complained about the aiming mechanics.
- Thomsen, Michael (24 January 2011). "Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword Preview". IGN.com. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- Todd, Brett (14 May 2011). "Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword Review". Gamespot. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword". Metacritic. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword". GameRankings. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Gesualdi, Vito. "Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword Review". Gamezone. Retrieved 30 April 2012.