Mount Elizabeth (Victoria)
|Elevation||941 metres (3,087 ft) AHD |
|Parent range||Great Dividing Range|
Mount Elizabeth is a mountain to the east of Tambo Crossing in East Gippsland, Victoria, Australia. It lies within the Mount Elizabeth Nature Conservation Reserve managed by Parks Victoria. The reserve, which covers 5234 hectares, was established in 1984. The reserve is the only known location where the endangered plant species leafy nematolepis (Nematolepis frondosa) occurs. Other rare or vulnerable plant species found in the reserve include Tullach Ard grevillea (Grevillea polychroma), outcrop guinea-flower (Hibbertia hermanniifolia subsp. recondita), Mount Elizabeth hovea (Hovea magnibractea), monkey mint-bush (Prostanthera walteri) and leafless pink-bells (Tetratheca subaphylla). Fauna species of note include the lace monitor, yellow-tailed black cockatoo and gang-gang cockatoo.
A sawmill was established by the Collins Brothers which was reported to be at full capacity in 1937. The harvested timbers included messmate (Eucalyptus obliqua) and ash. Previously an access road had been created and a sawmill established on the river by the Gippsland Timber Company, however its output was minimal.
- VicRoads country street directory of Victoria (Map 66) (3 ed.). Noble Park, Victoria: Royal Automobile Club of Victoria. ISSN 1329-5284.
- "Mount Elizabeth No. 1". Place Name Search. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Mount Elizabeth Nature Conservation Reserve". Parks Victoria. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Carter, Oberon; Walsh, Neville. "National Recovery Plan for the Leafy Nematolepis Nematolepis frondosa" (PDF). Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Forest management plan for Gippsland" (PDF). Department of Sustainability and Environment. June 2004. p. 179. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Grevillea brevifolia var. polychroma ". Flora of Australia Online. Department of the Environment and Heritage, Australian Government.
- "Occurrence Details: NSW NSW 538135 Hibbertia hermanniifolia DC.". Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Forest management plan for Gippsland" (PDF). Department of Sustainability and Environment. June 2004. p. 182. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Development of timber industry". Gippsland Times (Vic. : 1861 - 1954). Vic.: National Library of Australia. 29 April 1937. p. 4. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Mount Elizabeth No. 2". Place Name Search. Retrieved 29 December 2013.