Mount Jefferson State Natural Area
|Mount Jefferson State Natural Area|
|North Carolina State Park|
|Named for: Mount Jefferson|
|Elevation||4,660 ft (1,420.4 m)|
|Area||1,086 acres (439.5 ha) |
|Management||North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation|
|IUCN category||III - Natural Monument|
Mount Jefferson State Natural Area is a 1,086-acre (4.39 km2) North Carolina state park in Ashe County, North Carolina in the United States. Located near Jefferson, North Carolina, it includes the peak of Mount Jefferson, named for Thomas Jefferson, who owned land nearby.
In 1939 the Works Progress Administration created a road enabling widespread access to Mount Jefferson. Local citizens donated land and money in efforts to attain state park status for the local park, which required the park to have a minimum of 400 acres (1.6 km2). By 1956, their efforts yielded a 300-acre (1.2 km2) donation and raised enough funds to buy an additional 164 acres (0.7 km2) for the park. As a result, Mount Jefferson became a state park in October 1956.
The park has one main road that leads to the peak of Mount Jefferson. On the way up are two overlooks followed by hiking trails and a picnic shelter at the top. The mountain rises to more than 1,600 feet (490 m) above the surrounding landscape and provides a bird's-eye view of both Jefferson and West Jefferson. Park hours are limited by inclement weather, but otherwise open every day during the year with the exception of Christmas Day.
Nearby state parks
The following state parks are within 30 miles (48 km) of Mount Jefferson State Natural Area:
- Elk Knob State Park
- Grandfather Mountain State Park
- Grayson Highlands State Park, Virginia
- New River State Park
- Stone Mountain State Park
- United States Geological Survey. "Mount Jefferson State Park, USGS Jefferson (NC) Topo Map". TopoQuest. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "Size of the North Carolina State Parks System" (XLS). North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation. January 1, 2016. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Division of Parks and Recreation - Mount Jefferson". Retrieved 2006-10-25.