Mount Kisco, New York
|Mount Kisco, New York|
|Village & Town|
The Mount Kisco village hall
Location of Mount Kisco, New York
|• Mayor||J. Michael Cindrich (D)|
|• Total||3.1 sq mi (8.1 km2)|
|• Land||3.1 sq mi (8.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||302 ft (92 m)|
|• Density||3,500/sq mi (1,300/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0957852|
Mount Kisco was ranked fourth in the list of the top 10 places to live in New York State for 2014 according to the national online real estate brokerage Movoto.
The Village of Mount Kisco was incorporated in 1875 and was partly in the towns of Bedford and New Castle. In 1978, the village chose to become a town in its own right and joined several villages in the state that have made a like choice.
According to the town's official web site, Kisco is derived from an Indian word –either kiskamenahook meaning “settlement near a brook” or cisqua meaning “a muddy place.” Mount comes from the 623-foot hill northwest of town.
Geography and climate
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 3.1 square miles (8.1 km²), all of it land.
Mount Kisco lies within the humid continental climate zone, experiencing four distinct seasons. Winter is cold, summer is warm and humid, and spring and fall are chilly to mild.
|Climate data for Mt. Kisco, New York|
|Average high °F (°C)||34
|Average low °F (°C)||19
|Average precipitation inches (mm)||3.58
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
As of the 2013 United States Census there were 11,067 people, 4,128 households, and 2,447 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,194.0 people per square mile (1,231.5/km²). There were 4,103 housing units at an average density of 1,312.7 per square mile (506.1/km²). The large number of small businesses, retail stores, and financial and medical offices swells the daytime population to more than 20,000. The racial makeup of the village was 77.79% White, 5.99% African American, 0.28% Native American, 4.24% Asian, 9.03% from other races, and 2.67% from two or more races. 24.54% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,993 households out of which 30.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.3% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.7% were non-families. 31.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the village the population was spread out with 22.1% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 37.0% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 98.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $62,699, and the median income for a family was $68,219. Males had a median income of $45,428 versus $40,040 for females. The per capita income for the village was $32,424. About 7.4% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.0% of those under age 18 and 13.8% of those age 65 or over.
Mount Kisco is socioeconomically diverse. Though most residents are middle to upper middle class professionals, Mount Kisco is home to a sizable number of working class Hispanic immigrants who primarily reside in the downtown core. Contrastingly, sprawling estates and equestrian farms are to be found farther away from the center of town. Worth tens of millions of dollars, these properties are occasionally of a historic nature, many dating back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These bucolic country roads, meadows, and rolling hills are often technically within neighboring Bedford, though they share Mount Kisco's zip code and post office. Residents in this overlapping zone may use either a Bedford Corners or Mount Kisco mailing address.
Housing in Mount Kisco is tremendously varied, consisting of apartment buildings, co-ops, condominiums, townhomes, typical suburban homes, McMansions, historic Colonials and Victorians, and multimillion dollar estates.
As the commercial hub of Northern Westchester, many of Mount Kisco's shops and restaurants cater to an affluent clientele and include designer clothing boutiques, luxury jewelers, home decor, and trendy eateries. In addition, Mount Kisco houses national chains such as Target, Gap, Staples, and others, most with their only location in the area.
There are several modes of transport in Mount Kisco.
- Metro-North Railroad: Mount Kisco, on the Harlem Line
- Bee-Line Bus System: Multiple routes
- The Westchester County Airport is nearby.
- Also the Saw Mill River Parkway is nearby connecting it to New York City, Yonkers and also Connecticut via I-684 and I-84
- Janet Adelman, Shakespearean scholar
- Samuel Barber, composer
- Rick Carey, three-time Olympic gold medal winner, and former world record-holder in three events.
- Bennett Cerf, publisher, television personality
- Andrew Daly, actor, comedian
- Michael Eisner, former CEO of The Walt Disney Company
- Arlene Francis, television and radio personality, actress
- Lew Gallo, actor, producer
- Adam Green, musician
- Caitlyn Jenner (born Bruce Jenner), transgender gold-medal-winning US Olympian
- Darin Mastroianni, MLB player for the Minnesota Twins
- Theodore Mook, musician
- Bill O'Reilly, political consultant
- Eric Schmertz, lawyer
- John Schneider, actor, co-founder of Children's Miracle Network
- Alex Shoumatoff, writer
- Bert Sugar, boxing writer, sports historian
- Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr., publisher of the New York Times
- Rob Thomas, musician
- Dar Williams, musician
- Auchterlonie, Tom (15 August 2011). "Mt. Kisco Dems Renominate Cindrich, Griffin & Markus for Board of Trustees". Patch.com. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Mount Kisco town, Westchester County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 15, 2011.
- The 10 Best Places In New York - statistical analysis by Movoto
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "Monthly Averages for Mount Kisco, NY (10549)". Weather.com. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "State & County QuickFact". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Carey's bio from the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
- Town of Mount Kisco official website
- Mount Kisco Chamber of Commerce
- Mount Kisco News, local blog
- MK Swim & Dive Team