Viewed from the SE.
|Elevation||2,171 m (7,123 ft)|
|Last eruption||January 23, 2018|
Mount Kusatsu-Shirane (草津白根山 Kusatsu Shirane-san) is a 2160-meter active stratovolcano in Kusatsu, Gunma, Japan. It is called Kusatsu Shirane to differentiate it from the Mount Nikkō-Shirane on the other side of Gunma Prefecture. The summit of Kusatsu-Shirane volcano, located immediately north of Asama volcano, consists of a series of overlapping pyroclastic cones and three crater lakes. The largest of these is Yu-gama, an acidic emerald green lake with rafts of yellow sulfur sometimes seen floating on its surface.
On January 23, 2018, a minor phreatic eruption of the volcano occurred. One person was killed, and others were injured in an avalanche triggered by the eruption. The next day, new activity forced police to suspend search operations. One month after the eruption, it was announced by prefectural officials that only the summit of the volcano was off limits to the public.
- "草津白根山が噴火 警戒レベル３に 気象庁". NHK News Web (in Japanese). NHK. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Kusatsu-Shirane". OSU Department of Geosciences. Oregon State University. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Mt. Kusatsu-Shiranesan". Gunma Tourist Guide. Bureau of Tourism, GUNMA Prefectural Government. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Kusatsu-Shiranesan". Smithsonian Institution, Global Volcanism Program. Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Mt. Kusatsu-Shirane saw repeated eruptions in the past". The Mainichi. The Mainichi Newspapers. 24 January 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- McCurry, Justin. "Japan: fatal avalanche engulfs skiers after volcano erupts". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Volcanic tremors halt search ops after eruption". Japan Today. AFP. 24 January 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "One month since eruption of Mt. Kusatsu-Shirane". NHK World. NHK. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mount Kusatsu-Shirane.|
- Kusatsu-Shiranesan - Japan Meteorological Agency (in Japanese)
- "Kusatsu-Shiranesan: National catalogue of the active volcanoes in Japan" (PDF). - Japan Meteorological Agency
- Kusatsu-Shirane Volcano - Geological Survey of Japan
- Kusatsu-Shiranesan - Smithsonian Institution: Global Volcanism Program
|This Gunma Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|