Mount Lebanon Governorate
This article does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mount Lebanon Governorate|
محافظة جبل لبنان
Map of Lebanon with Mount Lebanon highlighted
|• Total||1,958 km2 (756 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Mount Lebanon Governorate (Arabic: محافظة جبل لبنان) is one of the eight governorates of Lebanon. Its capital is located in Baabda. An outright majority of the population (approx. 60%) is Christian (chiefly Maronite, Greek Orthodox, and Melkite), with minorities of Druze, Muslims of various sects.
This governorate is named after the mountainous region of Mount Lebanon and, except for Beirut which as a population of 330,000 spans the area along the Mediterranean coast between Lebanon's North Governorate and South Governorate.
The population in the north is overwhelmingly Christian; in the southern part of the governorate it is a mix of Christian, Druze and Sunni. As a whole the governorate, not including Beirut which is its own governorate, is 65% Christian, 10% Druze, 10% Sunni and 15% Shi'a. Overall, Lebanon's population of 5 million (not counting 2 million refugees) is 40% Christian, 55% Muslim and 5% Druze.
|This Lebanon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|