Mount Meru (Tanzania)
Mount Meru, 2012
|Elevation||4,562.13 m (14,967.6 ft) |
|Prominence||3,170 m (10,400 ft) 
|Location||Arusha Region, Tanzania|
|Last eruption||October to December 1910|
|First ascent||1904 by Fritz Jäger|
Mount Meru is an active stratovolcano located 70 kilometres (43 mi) west of Mount Kilimanjaro in the nation of Tanzania. At a height of 4,562.13 metres (14,968 ft), it is visible from Mt Kilimanjaro on a clear day, and is the ninth or tenth highest mountain in Africa, dependent on definition.
Much of its bulk was lost about 8,000 years ago due to an eastward volcanic blast, similar to the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens in the U.S. state of Washington. Mount Meru most recently had a minor eruption in 1910. The several small cones and craters seen in the vicinity probably reflect numerous episodes of volcanic activity.
Mount Meru is the topographic centerpiece of Arusha National Park. Its fertile slopes rise above the surrounding savanna and support a forest that hosts diverse wildlife, including nearly 400 species of birds, and also monkeys and leopards.
Resting place of Noah's Ark
Some have suggested that Mount Meru was the place where Noah's Ark came to rest as the flood receded. According to this view, the old Arabic text of Genesis 8:4 identifies the resting place as "har-meni", which "refers to the mountain of Meni or Menes, another name for Mount Meru". The similarity between Har-meni and Armenia, however, led to the Christian tradition of identifying Mount Ararat, in Armenia, as the site. 
Mount Meru and Ngurdoto Crater (image top) from space
- Africa Ultra-Prominences Peaklist.org. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Meru". Global Volcanism Program. Smithsonian Institution.
- Mount Meru at SummitPost.org
- "Mount Meru, Tanzania". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- A view of Mount Meru from Mount Kilimanjaro
- Linsley, Alice. "What Language Did Abraham Speak?". Biblical Anthropology. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Mount Meru at Peakware
- Satellite pictures of Mount Meru
- trekkingvisions Information about the Mount Meru Trek