Mount Miguel High School
|Mount Miguel High School|
Aerial view from southeast
8585 Blossom Lane
|Type||Public comprehensive secondary|
|School district||Grossmont Union High School District|
Mount Miguel High School is a public, comprehensive high school located in Spring Valley, California and serves over 1,400 students in grades nine through twelve. Opened in 1957, Mount Miguel is the fourth of twelve high schools constructed in the Grossmont Union High School District. MMHS is the home of the Matadors, and the school colors are red and black.
Matador Early College (MEC)
Students in the MEC enroll in UC/CSU transferable college courses at Grossmont College or Cuyamaca College. They experience a college atmosphere, and are oriented to the process involved in enrolling in college, choosing classes, and completing college coursework.
- 41 Student Enrolled in College Courses
- 75 College Course Passed w/grade "C" or Higher
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID is a college prep elective course designed to ensure that students are meeting all A-G requirements and are college-ready by the end of their senior year.
- 100% of AVID seniors (2015) accepted into a four year university
- MMHS AVID seniors are awarded over $250,000 annually in grants and scholarships
- Paid college tutors providing academic support
Advanced Placement Classes
- U.S. History
- European History
- Studio Art
MMHS has a wide variety of clubs, activities, academic enrichment, and student support for which students to get involved.
After school programs
- Anime Club
- Outdoor Outreach
- Driver’s Education
- Baseball Club
- Ringside Martial Arts
- Sports Fishing
- Softball Club
- Matadors United
- Beast Mode Training
- Eco Club
Mount Miguel's athletic teams, the Matadors, compete in the North League of the Grossmont Conference and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) - San Diego Section.
The school fields teams in the following sports: baseball, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls cross country, cheerleading, football, boys and girls golf, gymnastics, boys and girls soccer, softball, boys and girls swimming & diving, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls track & field, boys and girls volleyball, boys and girls water polo, and wrestling.
- Tom Irwin ("Shotgun" Tom Kelly), 1968, television personality
- Ryan Anthony, 1990, classical trumpet player
- Jeff Karstens, 2000, starting pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Khalif Barnes, 2000, National Football League (NFL) offensive tackle, Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders
- Matt Bradford - Film/Television actor. Class of 1995.
- Robert Griffith, strong safety for the Arizona Cardinals
- Ogemdi Nwagbuo, defensive lineman San Diego Chargers
- Arthur Hobbs, defensive back for the [ [Hamilton Tiger-Cats]]
- Ray Wells, NFL player
- Cory Littleton, middle linebacker Los Angeles Rams