|Elevation||9,739 ft (2,968 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||695 ft (212 m) |
|Listing||Tahoe OGUL Peak List|
Sierra Peaks Section
|Location||El Dorado County, California, U.S.|
|Parent range||Sierra Nevada|
|Topo map||USGS Emerald Bay|
|Easiest route||Trail hike, class 1-2|
Mount Tallac is a mountain peak southwest of Lake Tahoe, in El Dorado County, California. The peak lies within the Desolation Wilderness in the Eldorado National Forest. It is quite visible from State Routes 89 and 28, and U.S. Route 50. A "cross of snow" is clearly visible on the mountain's face during the winter, spring, and early summer months.
An estimated 10,000 climb the peak each year via routes approaching the summit from Desolation Wilderness to the west, Fallen Leaf Lake to the East, and access roads from the north. Wilderness permits are required to hike Mount Tallac. But for day hiking, permits are free and self-issued at the trailhead. There is a quota for overnight hikes on Mount Tallac (and throughout Desolation Wilderness), but there is no quota for day hiking.
The opening sequence of the TV series Bonanza was filmed at the McFaul Creek Meadow, with Mount Tallac in the background.
- "Tahoe OGUL Peak List". Western State Climbers. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Sierra Peaks Section List" (PDF). Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Tallac Peak 1893". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Mount Tallac, California". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "East Side Trailheads and Trails". Eldorado National Forest. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- Gudde, Erwin G. (1949). California Place Names. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press. pp. 352–353.
- "Mount Tallac". SummitPost.org. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- "Mt. Tallac Trailhead". Lake Tahoe Basin Mgt Unit, U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "Mount Tallac". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Alpine Ski Tours - Lake Tahoe: Southwest Topographic Map
|This El Dorado County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|