Mount Tom Price mine
The Mount Tom Price mine
|Production||28 million tonnes/annum|
|Company||Rio Tinto Iron Ore|
|Website||Rio Tinto Iron Ore website|
The mine is fully owned and operated by Rio Tinto Iron Ore and is one of twelve iron ore mines the company operates in the Pilbara. In the calendar year 2009, the combined Pilbara operations produced 202 million tonnes of iron ore, a 15 percent increase from 2008. The Pilbara operations accounted for almost 13 percent of the world's 2009 iron ore production of 1.59 billion tonnes.
Rio Tinto's iron ore operations in the Pilbara began in 1966, with the Mount Tom Price mine opening that year. Mount Tom Price was the company's first mine to open in the Pilbara. The mine has an annual production capacity of 28 million tonnes of iron ore, sourced from open-pit operations. The ore is processed on site before being loaded onto rail. Ore from Mount Tom Price, like Brockman, Paraburdoo, Channar, Eastern Range, Marandoo and Yandicoogina are transported as lump and fines ore product from the mines to Dampier via rail. Before being loaded onto ships for export, the product is blended and rescreened. The maximum size for the lumps is 31.5 mm, while the fines are at a maximum of 6.3 mm.
The mine is owned by Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd, a fully owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto, which ownes six mines in the Pilbara, including Mount Tom Price, and partly owns two more mines in the region.
- MINEDEX website: Mount Tom Price search result accessed: 6 November 2010
- Pilbara Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Mining Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Preparing for the future Rio Tinto presentation, published: 23 March 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Global iron-ore production falls 6,2% in 2009 - Unctad report miningweekly.com, published: 30 July 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Production of iron ore fell in 2009, but shipments continued to increase, report says UNCTAD website, published: 30 July 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Iron fact sheet - Australian Resources and Deposits Geoscience Australia website, accessed: 7 November 2010
- The Australian Mines Handbook - 2003-04 edition, editor: Ross Louthean, publisher: Louthean Media Pty Ltd, page: 242
- Mount Tom Price mine Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Iron fact sheet - Mining Geoscience Australia website, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Rail Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Western Australian Mineral and Petroleum Statistic Digest 2009 Department of Mines and Petroleum website, accessed: 8 November 2010