Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord|
|Series||Mount & Blade|
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is a medieval action role-playing game developed by TaleWorlds Entertainment. The game was announced in 2012, and the game project started in summer of 2011. It is a prequel to the 2010 game Mount & Blade: Warband.
The game is set 210 years before Mount & Blade: Warband, taking place during the decline of the Calradian Empire, and the formation of the Kingdoms that appear in the previous games. The Calradian Empire and its downfall are analogous to the fall of the Roman Empire and the formation of the early Middle Eastern, North African, and European kingdoms. The armor, weapons and architecture will draw inspiration from 600 to 1100 A.D. Furthermore, there are many different vassals which serve the Kingdom the way they do.
Bannerlord will include at least eight major factions, each composed of competing clans with their own goals, as well as minor warband factions like mercenaries. The Northern, Western, and Southern Empire factions use a balance of heavy cavalry, spearmen, and archers. The Calradic Empire was a once significant empire that is now fighting a three-way civil war, they are experts in archery and heavily armoured cataphract cavalry. The Vlandians are a feudal kingdom specializing in heavy cavalry tactics. The Sturgians of the northern forests specialize in axe and sword equipped infantry. The Aserai of the southern desert are adept at both cavalry and infantry tactics. The Khuzait of the eastern steppe specialize in ranged cavalry. The Battanians of the central woodlands specialize in ambushes with archers from the trees and are inspired by Welsh, Pictish, and Celtic cultures.
In September 2012, TaleWorlds Entertainment announced that the game was in development and released a teaser trailer for it.
The game's graphics have been significantly improved from its predecessor, Mount & Blade: Warband, having better shading and higher detail models. The character animations are created utilizing motion capture technology and the facial animations will also be updated to improve upon the portrayal of emotions.
Gameplay related features are also being upgraded with a new inventory interface and better artificial intelligence. The siege system is also being improved based on player feedback, with additional tactics being available during sieges. The current state of the game and various features were showcased during the 2015 Gamescom trade fair.
In March 2016, some 40 minutes of gameplay were shown at the PC Gamer Weekender event in London.
In October 2016, TaleWorlds made an official Bannerlord Steam page.
- "Bannerlord Development Blog Episode VII: Return of the Blog". Bannerlord Development Blog. TaleWorlds. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Savage, Phil (2017). "Mount Your Friends - Meet the factions of Calradia". PC Gamer. No. 303 (UK ed.). Bath, UK: Future Publishing Ltd. p. 43.
- "Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord gameplay demonstration - PC Gamer Weekender". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2017-05-26.
- "Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 1 - Hairy Artists". Bannerlord Development Blog. TaleWorlds. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 – Virtual Skeletons". Bannerlord Development Blog. TaleWorlds. 14 March 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 6 – Astounding Squirms". Bannerlord Development Blog. TaleWorlds. 7 May 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 – Unexpected Parties". Bannerlord Development Blog. TaleWorlds. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 4 – Flexible Entries". Bannerlord Development Blog. TaleWorlds. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Mount&Blade II Bannerlord - TaleWorlds Entertainment". www.taleworlds.com. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2016-10-23.