Mountain Center, California
|• Total||1.886 sq mi (4.885 km2)|
|• Land||1.884 sq mi (4.881 km2)|
|• Water||0.002 sq mi (0.004 km2) 0.09%|
|Elevation||4,518 ft (1,377 m)|
|• Density||33/sq mi (13/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1661073; 2629133|
It lies along State Route 74 in the southern division of San Bernardino National Forest. Mountain Center lies just north of Lake Hemet, midway between Hemet and Palm Desert, just south of the town of Idyllwild, and it is southeast of the city of Riverside, the county seat of Riverside County. Its elevation is 4,518 feet (1,377 m). Although Mountain Center is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 92561.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km²), 99.91% of it land, and 0.09% of it water.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Mountain Center had a population of 63. The population density was 33.4 people per square mile (12.9/km²). The racial makeup of Mountain Center was 60 (95%) White, 0 (0%) African American, 1 (1%) Native American, 1 (1%) Asian, 0 (0%) Pacific Islander, 0 (0%) from other races, and 1 (1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15 persons (24%).
The Census reported that 63 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 36 households, out of which 5 (14%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 13 (36%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 3 (8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 0 (0%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 0 (0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 0 (0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 19 households (53%) were made up of individuals and 6 (17%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.75. There were 16 families (44% of all households); the average family size was 2.56.
The population was spread out with 12 people (19%) under the age of 18, 0 people (0%) aged 18 to 24, 8 people (13%) aged 25 to 44, 30 people (48%) aged 45 to 64, and 13 people (21%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 53.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 75.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 70.0 males.
There were 58 housing units at an average density of 30.8 per square mile (11.9/km²), of which 25 (69%) were owner-occupied, and 11 (31%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 29%; the rental vacancy rate was 27%. 40 people (64% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 23 people (37%) lived in rental housing units.
- In the United States House of Representatives, Mountain Center is in California's 36th congressional district, represented by Democrat Raul Ruiz.
- In the California State Legislature, Mountain Center is in the 28th Senate District, represented by Republican Jeff Stone, and in the 71st Assembly District, represented by Republican Randy Voepel.
- In the Riverside County Board of Supervisors, Mountain Center is in the Third District, represented by Chuck Washington.
- In the jurisdiction of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, with Sheriff Stanley Sniff.
- U.S. Census Archived 2012-01-24 at WebCite
- "Mountain Center". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 1981-01-19. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mountain Center, California
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, p. 15.
- Zip Code Lookup
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - Mountain Center CDP". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "California's 36th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- "Statewide Database". Regents of the University of California. Retrieved May 1, 2015.