A mountain resort is a place to holiday or vacation located in a mountainous area. The term includes ski resorts, where winter sports, including skiing, snowboarding, ice climbing and ice skating are practiced, as well as places where summer activities such as mountain biking, mountain boarding, and hiking are pursued. In hot climates hill and mountain resorts are visited for the cooler temperatures at higher elevations.
In the United States and Canada the term "mountain resort" usually denotes a resort visited all year, both for winter sports and for summer activities, such as hiking, mountain biking, golf, and tennis.
- Aspen, Colorado
- Big Bear Lake, California
- Flagstaff, Arizona
- Loghill Village, Colorado
- Mountain Village, Colorado
- Ouray, Colorado
- Teton Village, Wyoming
- Whistler, British Columbia
- Attitash, New Hampshire
- Cranmore, New Hampshire
- Killington, Vermont
In Pakistan, the Galyat areas are a popular summer destination. They are also favorite for a cold snowy experience in the winter. Murree, Ayubia, Nathiagali, Kalabagh are some of the popular places. Other places like the Northern Areas which include Gilgit Baltistan and Kashmir are also a choice.
- Mountain Resort Guide website
- Kennedy, Dane (1996). The Magic Mountains: Hill Stations and the British Raj. ISBN 0-520-20188-4.
- Dorward, Sherry (1990) Design for Mountain Communities: A Landscape and Architectural Guide Van Nostrand Reinhold ISBN 9780442220952