Mountain View High School (Bend, Oregon)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mountain View High School|
|2755 NE 27th Street
Bend, (Deschutes), Oregon 97701
|School district||Bend-La Pine School District|
|Principal||Katie Legace |
|Number of students||1497|
|Color(s)||Red, black and white|
|Athletics conference||OSAA 5A Special District|
Mountain View High School opened in 1979 as the second high school in the greater Bend, Oregon, area. It was the first new high school in the area since Bend High School had opened in 1904, and the two schools remained the only traditional high schools in Bend until Summit High School opened in 2001 (Marshall High School is a magnet high school also located in Bend). The school's first principal was Jack Harris; after his retirement in 1987, the school named the football stadium after him. MVHS underwent major renovations in 2005 to expand the library and main offices.
The school's mascot is a Cougar. MVHS originally adopted Notre Dame University's fight song, but it is now based on that of Washington State University, whose mascot is also the cougar.
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Cross country: 2000 (girls), 1995 (boys)
- Football: 2011
- Nordic skiing: 2010, 2009, 2008
- Soccer: 1999 (boys)
- Swimming: 1992 (girls), 1995 (girls), 2001 (girls), 2001 (boys)
- Water polo: 2013, 2015, 2016
Mountain View High School hosts the First Robotics Team (FRC) Team #753, the High Desert Droids. It is composed primarily of Mountain View Students; it also includes members from Bend High School, Summit High School, and Redmond High School.
Mountain View High school is home to the Bend FFA Chapter, and is the only school in the area to provide agriculture classes. FFA is an organization that focuses on giving youth leadership, service, and job skill opportunities through agricultural education. Many teens around Bend switch to MVHS for this program, which is one of the top FFA chapters in the state.
This is also the only area school with a Cadet Corps program.
- Linsey Corbin – professional triathlete
- Ashton Eaton – University of Oregon, decathlete and Olympic champion
- Jourdan Miller – 20th winner of America's Next Top Model
- Cody Hollister - Professional American Football wide receiver for the New England Patriots
- Jacob Hollister - Professional American Football tight end for the New England Patriots
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-05. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- [dead link]
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Wilson, Mike (2009-08-20). "World championships: Trey Hardee wins, Ashton Eaton 18th in decathlon". The Oregonian. Retrieved 11 March 2010.
- Reiher, Andrea (2013-11-15). "'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 20 winner: Jourdan Miller, Marvin Cortes or Cory Hindorff, who won? – Screener". Blog.zap2it.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-15. Retrieved 2017-03-30.