|Headquarters||2 Wall St
Asheville, NC 28801
The Mountain Xpress is an alternative newspaper covering news, arts, local politics, and events in Asheville and western North Carolina. Published each Wednesday in print and online, it has a print circulation of about 29,000. The Mountains Xpress is one of 130 member newspapers of the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies.
The newspaper's mission is "To build community and strengthen democracy by serving an active, thoughtful readership at the local level – where the impact of citizen action is greatest." 
- Opinion & Letters, with regular cartoons by Randy Molton & Brent Brown
- News (covering Buncombe County Commission, Asheville City Council and other local issues)
- Community Calendar, listing events held by nonprofits and/or noncommercial venues around Western North Carolina
- Conscious Party (the weekly "fun fundraiser")
- News of the Weird (bizarre news stories, compiled by Chuck Shepherd)
- Asheville Disclaimer (satire news)
- Wellness (health news)
- Green Scene (environmental-news feature)
- Food (covering restaurant, food & beverage news — including "Small Bites" short stories)
- Beer Scout (local beer & brewery news)
- On Tap (brewery calendar, listing new beer releases & other events at 18 local breweries)
- Arts & Entertainment (music & art news — including "Smart Bets" short stories)
- Clubland (live music listings around Western North Carolina)
- Cranky Hanke (movie reviews from noted film critic and author Ken Hanke)
- Marketplace (classifieds, personals & astrology)
Online-only features include:
- Screening Room and Weekly Reeler (both movie-related columns by Ken Hanke)
- Sound Check (exclusive music videos)
- Faces in the Crowd (crowdfunding initiatives around Western North Carolina)
- Acoustic Asheville (acoustic exclusive music videos)
- Stage Sights (concert photos)
- 30 Days Out (concerts coming up in the next month)
- CalCast (community calendar podcast)
Best of WNC
The Xpress publishes an annual "Best of WNC" listing the best restaurants, businesses, and activities in the Asheville area, based on a readers' poll.
Other Xpress guides to the area include Asheville Eats & Drinks, the WNC Green Building Directory, and supplements on the Asheville Film Festival, Bele Chere Festival, Women in Business and more.
- "Mountain Xpress". Association of Alternative Newsweeklies. Retrieved 2006-02-12.