|Origin||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Genres||Funeral doom metal|
|Labels||Osmose Productions, Weird Truth Productions, 20 Buck Spin, Obsidian Records, Painiac Records, Ostra Records|
Cauldron Black Ram
In the 1990s they released several demos; the last of these re-released as an LP in 2002. All of these are included with the single "The Epitome of Gods and Men Alike" on the double CD The Dawning of Mournful Hymns. This was followed by the release of another 7" titled "A Slow March to the Burial". 2005 saw the release of The Monad of Creation, although most of the material is much older, with some dating back to 1994. In 2009, the band performed live for the first time in their fifteen-year existence. They played four Australian shows, followed up by a further 17 shows throughout Europe to promote their album The June Frost, released that year.
Compilations and The Book of Kings (2011–2018)
The group issued a compilation album, The Unspoken Hymns, in September 2011. Mathias Bloodaxe of VoltageMedia felt it has "some of Mournful Congregation's best work... it is aimed at introducing one of Australia's best bands onto American audiences. The compilation features songs [and versions of songs] only previously available on long sold out limited vinyl splits, and being someone who generally loathes best of compilations, I find this a very worthy release."
Their fourth studio album, The Book of Kings, followed in November 2011 via Obsidian Records. MichaelO'Brien of The Metal Forge rated the album at 9.5 out-of ten he explained that they had "A mature and damn near flawless album... [and] reaffirmed their place within the upper tier of the doom genre with what is easily their best and most mature work to date." They undertook a tour of the United States west coast.
Mournful Congregation's fifth album The Incubus of Karma was released on 23 March 2018.
- Weeping (1994)
- An Epic Dream of Desire (1995)
- Let There Be Doom... / The Epitome of Gods and Men Alike (2002-with Worship)
- A Slow March to the Burial (2004-with Stabat Mater)
- Ascent of the Flames / Descent of the Flames (2007-with Stone Wings)
- Four Burials (2008-with Otesanek, Loss, and Orthodox)
- Tears from a Grieving Heart (1999)
- The Monad of Creation (2005)
- The June Frost (2009)
- The Book of Kings (1 November 2011)
- The Incubus of Karma (2018)
- The Dawning of Mournful Hymns (2002)
- The Unspoken Hymns (20 September 2011)
- Weeping/An Epic Dream of Desire (2012)
- Concrescence of the Sophia (2014)
- Damon Good - vocals, guitar (1993–present), bass (1993-2000, 2000-2008)
- Justin Hartwig - guitar (1999–present)
- Ben Newsome - bass (2008–present)
- Tim Call - drums (2015-present)
- Adrian Bickle - drums (1997–2015)
- Stuart Prickett - guitar live (2011-2016)
- Ben Petch - guitar, drums, vocals (1993-1996)
- Sean Graetz - guitar (2000)
- Mark Bodossian - bass (2000)
- Denny Blake - drums (2003)
- Bloodaxe, Mathias (27 July 2011). "Mournful Congregation – The Unspoken Hymns". VoltageMedia. Archived from the original on 27 November 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- MeanMachine (8 September 2011). "Mournful Congregation album details and sampler". Metal Obsession. Archived from the original on 7 December 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- O'Brien, Michael (4 November 2011). "Review >> Mournful Congregation – The Book of Kings". The Metal Forge. Archived from the original on 19 January 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2017.