The lead section of this article may need to be rewritten. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Allen Brain Atlas
- Mouse Brain Library
- High resolution mouse brain atlas
Despite superficial differences, especially in size and weight, the mouse brain and its function can serve as a powerful animal model for study of human brain diseases or mental disorders (see e.g. Reeler, Chakragati mouse). This is because the genes responsible for building and operating both mouse and human brain are 90% identical.
The cerebral cortex of a mouse has around 8-14 million neurons while in those humans there are more than 10-15 billion. The olfactory bulb volume takes about 2% of the mouse brain by volume in contrast to about 0.01% of the human brain.
- MacKenzie-Graham, Allan; Jones, Eagle S.; Shattuck, David W.; Dinov, Ivo D.; Bota, Mihail; Toga, Arthur W. (2003). "The Informatics of a C57BL/6J Mouse Brain Atlas". Neuroinformatics. Springer Nature. 1 (4): 397–410. doi:10.1385/ni:1:4:397. ISSN 1539-2791. PMID 15043223.
- "ISH Data :: Allen Brain Atlas: Mouse Brain". ISH Data. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Search the library". The Mouse Brain Library. 2003-06-05. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Brain size and intelligence- why a human is smarter than a mouse". DNALC Blogs «. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Herculano-Houzel, Suzana; Catania, Kenneth; Manger, Paul R.; Kaas, Jon H. (2015). "Mammalian Brains Are Made of These: A Dataset of the Numbers and Densities of Neuronal and Nonneuronal Cells in the Brain of Glires, Primates, Scandentia, Eulipotyphlans, Afrotherians and Artiodactyls, and Their Relationship with Body Mass". Brain, Behavior and Evolution. S. Karger AG. 86 (3–4): 145–163. doi:10.1159/000437413. ISSN 0006-8977.
- McGann, John P. (2017-05-11). "Poor human olfaction is a 19th-century myth". Science. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 356 (6338): eaam7263. doi:10.1126/science.aam7263. ISSN 0036-8075. PMC 5512720.
- "Brain Facts and Figures". faculty.washington.edu. Retrieved 2019-02-07.