|Single by Alien Ant Farm|
|from the album Greatest Hits and Anthology|
|Writer(s)||Tye Zamora, Dryden Mitchell, Mike Cosgrove, Terry Corso|
|Alien Ant Farm singles chronology|
"Movies" is a song by Alien Ant Farm, released as the first single from their album Anthology in 2001, then re-released to a larger audience after the success of "Smooth Criminal". Though it peaked only at No. 18 on the US Modern Rock chart, it remained on the chart for thirty-two weeks, five weeks longer than "Smooth Criminal" which hit No. 1.
Lyrically ambiguous, the song deals with images of independent kids salvaging relationships, inherent power struggles, finally letting go, and possible reconciliation, practicing concepts of love, despair, and bargaining that adults have difficulty dealing with, and the resolution and "drama" so well-written that it would be worthy of a movie. "You won’t cry/I won’t scream" may be describing promises made in order to continue, or may be describing the final goodbye and never seeing each other again.
There were three music videos made for this single, one, which was shot before the success of "Smooth Criminal" features a 'behind the scenes' style shooting of the video, with grips and lighting crew interrupting shots to fix equipment, while the band performs before a tacky Hollywood Hill backdrop.
The second video revolves around their playing at a house party, and the imagined events after they each pick up a different girl at the party.
There is a bigger budget re-shoot music video, released after the success of "Smooth Criminal", which shows the band jumping through the screen at a movie theatre, and interacting with the audience in homages to Ghostbusters, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, The Karate Kid (including an appearance by the film's costar Pat Morita) and Edward Scissorhands. At the end of the video, the entire audience jumps through the screen and joins the band. This version was directed by Marc Klasfeld.
After the band achieved success with their cover of "Smooth Criminal," they re-released the single. This time, it was a commercial success, reaching number 5 on the UK singles chart and number 18 on the US Alternative Songs chart.
The original single version had two tracks, Wish, and Movies (the album version).
Enhanced DualDisc Maxi: CD Side
- "Movies" - 3:16
- "Smooth Criminal" (Live In Denver) - 3:30
- "Movies" (Live In Denver) - 3:20
CD in Computer:
- "Movies" (Enhanced Music Video) - 4:27
- "Movies" (Video) - 4:27
Eric is the filmer for Alien Ant Farm.
|New Zealand (New Zealand Top 40)||35|
|UK Singles (OCC)||5|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||18|
- coyled. "The 12 Most Underrated Nu Metal Albums". VH1.
- "Movies Chart History". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Alien Ant Farm chart history". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Alien Ant Farm - Movies "Original Version"". YouTube. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Alien Ant Farm - Movies *unreleased*". YouTube. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "ALIEN ANT FARM GET INTO THE 'MOVIES'". MTV. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Movies chart history (UK)". Official Charts. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Movies re-release chart history". Official Charts. Retrieved 12 October 2016.