Movies of the Mind
|Movies of the Mind|
|Live album by|
|Michael Nesmith chronology|
Movies of the Mind is a live album from Michael Nesmith. The album documents Nesmith's 2013 2-month tour of the United States.
According to Nesmith, the songs played on the album touched a chronological and thematic history of Nesmith's solo music. He stated, "I picked my favorites to play, the ones I have come to love over the years, and the ones that are most requested by fans of my solo work."
The album was available directly through Nesmith's website "Videoranch". A Super Deluxe Edition, which featured a vinyl LP record, two CDs, and a signed Certificate of Authenticity, was limited to 200 pressings. Side one of the vinyl LP featured studio recordings of recent Nesmith songs, planned for release on an upcoming album, "Around the Sun". These tracks were previously available for download on "Videoranch" in MP3 form. Side two of the LP included 2013 live tracks, including Nesmith's first composition, "Papa Gene's Blues", which was featured on the album The Monkees. The Deluxe Edition included two CDs (one signed by Nesmith) with live versions of the songs "Calico Girlfriend" ("Calico Girlfriend Samba"), "Nine Times Blue", "Little Red Rider", "Propinquity", "Some of Shelly's Blues", and "Listen to the Band" were originally recorded with The Monkees (although "Listen to the Band" was the only track of the six to be released, which was on the album The Monkees Present).
Track Listing (Deluxe Edition)
All songs by Michael Nesmith.
- "Welcome and Band Introductions"
- "Calico Girlfriend"
- "Nine Times Blue"
- "Little Red Rider"
- "Propinquity (I've Just Begun to Care)"
- "Tomorrow and Me"
- "Different Drum"
- "Some of Shelly's Blues"
- "Silver Moon"
- "Casablanca Moon"
- "Yellow Butterfly"
- "Grand Ennui"
- "Rising in Love"
- "Listen to the Band"
Track Listing (Vinyl only Super Deluxe Edition)
All songs by Michael Nesmith.
- Only Understanding Love
- I Know What I Know
- Love Is the Place
- Life Is Long
- Smiles of Autumn
- Papa Gene's Blues
- Life, the Unsuspecting Captive
- Marie's Theme
- Lamp Post
- Laugh Kills Lonesome
- Thanx for the Ride
- 27-Oct Phoenix, AZ: MIM Music Theater
- 29-Oct Austin, TX: One World Theatre
- 30-Oct Dallas, TX: The Kessler Theater
- 01-Nov Birmingham, AL: The WorkPlay SoundStage
- 02-Nov Atlanta, GA: Variety Playhouse
- 04-Nov Vienna (Washington D.C.): The Barns at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts
- 05-Nov Annapolis, MD: Rams Head On Stage
- 07-Nov Bay Shore, NY: YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
- 08-Nov Phoenixville, PA: The Colonial Theatre
- 10-Nov Shirley, MA: The Bull Run Concert Series
- 11-Nov Fall River, MA: Narrow Center for the Arts
- 12-Nov Englewood, NJ: Bergen Performing Arts Center
- 14-Nov Elyria (Cleveland), OH: Stocker Arts Center
- 15-Nov Chicago, IL: City Winery
- 17-Nov Franklin, TN: The Franklin Theatre
- 18-Nov Franklin, TN :The Franklin Theatre
- 19-Nov St. Louis, MO: Old Rock House
- 22-Nov Bloomington, IN: Buskirk-Chumley Theater
- 21-Nov Ferndale (Detroit), MI: The Magic Bag
- 23-Nov Chicago, IL: City Winery
- 24-Nov Milwaukee, WI: Turner Hall Ballroom
- Michael Nesmith – vocals, guitar
- Chris Scruggs – lead, slide and pedal steel guitars
- Paul Leim - drums, percussion, Ableton
- Joe Chemay - bass, background vocals, Ableton
- Boh Cooper - keys, background vocals, Ableton
- Red Rhodes - pedal steel guitar on "Thanx For the Ride" (via a posthumous multitrack recording)