The Movimiento 2D (2D Movement, M2D or simply 2D) is a Venezuelan opposition movement led by El Nacional editor and proprietor Miguel Henrique Otero. 2D, founded by Otero in late 2007 in the run-up to the Venezuelan constitutional referendum, 2007, includes a number of prominent Venezuelans besides Otero, including former foreign minister Simón Alberto Consalvi, who served under both Jaime Lusinchi and Carlos Andrés Pérez. The name of the movement refers to 2 December, being the date of the Venezuelan presidential election, 2012. In February 2010 M2D announced it would support the opposition electoral coalition Mesa de la Unidad Democrática in the September 2010 parliamentary election.
In a 2D press conference opposing the Venezuelan constitutional referendum, 2009, President Hugo Chávez was compared to Juan Vicente Gómez, the Venezuelan dictator of the 1920s and 1930s, and 2D's Pablo Medina said Venezuela would become a dictatorship if it was approved. The referendum to remove term limits from all public offices was approved.
In June 2010 2D criticised the government takeover of Banco Federal. In mid-August 2010, in the run-up to the parliamentary election, El Nacional sparked an international outcry when its frontpage publication of a graphic archival photo of bodies in a morgue, to illustrate a story about rising crime rates, led the government to temporarily ban such publications. The ban was later overturned. Otero said that "The editorial reasoning behind the photo was to create a shock so that people could in some way react to a situation that the government has done absolutely nothing about."
- (Spanish) El Nuevo Herald, 10 January 2008, Denuncian gobierno de facto en Venezuela
- Movimiento 2D, Nosotros
- (Spanish) YVKE, 22 September 2008, Movimiento 2D continúa conspirando contra Constitución venezolana
- The presidential election is held on the first Sunday in December of the year the election falls due.
- (Spanish) El Nacional, 26 February 2010, Movimiento 2D apoyará a Mesa de la Unidad para comicios del 26-S. Movimiento 2D apoyará a Mesa de la Unidad para comicios del 26-S, archived from the original on 2011-07-10, retrieved 2014-09-27
- Vheadline.com, 20 February 2009, Patrick J. O'Donoghue's news and views from Venezuela -- February 10, 2009
- Vheadline.com, 8 February 2009, Movimiento 2D's Pablo Medina: Venezuela is about to run one of its last electoral processes
- El Universal, 18 June 2010, Venezuelan government takes over Banco Federal
- BBC, 18 August 2010, Venezuela bans 'violent' photos in newspapers
- Venezuelanalysis.com, 20 August 2010, Venezuelan Court Retracts Ruling in Graphic Image Controversy
- CNN, 18 August 2010, Venezuelan newspaper owner defends photo that spurred investigation