Moving Out (album)
|Studio album by Sonny Rollins|
|Recorded||August 18 and October 25, 1954|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack|
|Sonny Rollins chronology|
Moving Out is an album by jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins. This was his second for Prestige Records, featuring Kenny Dorham, Elmo Hope, Percy Heath, and Art Blakey, and one track with Thelonious Monk, Tommy Potter, and Art Taylor.
At Allmusic, Michael G. Nastos called the group "one of the more potent combos of 1954." Author and musician Peter Niklas Wilson called the album "simply a typical blowing session, in which virtuoso up-tempo playing and a wealth of invention in a well-known framework count for more than structural innovation".
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
All compositions by Sonny Rollins except as indicated
- Side one
- "Moving Out" - 4:31
- "Swingin' for Bumsy" - 5:48
- "Silk 'n' Satin" - 4:03
- Side two
Recorded on August 18, 1954 (first four tracks), and October 25 ("More Than You Know")
- Sonny Rollins – tenor saxophone
- Kenny Dorham – trumpet
- Elmo Hope – piano
- Percy Heath – bass
- Art Blakey – drums
- Thelonious Monk – piano on "More Than You Know"
- Tommy Potter – bass on "More Than You Know"
- Art Taylor – drums on "More Than You Know"
- "Sonny Rollins Catalog". Jazz Disco. Retrieved 7 October 2009.
- Nastos, Michael G. "Moving Out – Sonny Rollins". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 October 2009.
- Wilson, Peter N. (2001). Sonny Rollins: The Definitive Musical Guide. Berkeley, California: Berkeley Hills Books. pp. 111–112. ISBN 1-893163-06-7.
- Swenson, John, ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide (1 ed.). New York: Rolling Stone. p. 172. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.