Moyua (Metro Bilbao)
|Owned by||Metro Bilbao S.A.|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Structure type||Underground station|
|Opened||11 November 1995|
Moyua is a station of line 1 and line 2 of Metro Bilbao. The station is located in the neighbourhood of Abando, in the district with the same name. The station is located under the Moyua Plaza, named after Federico Moyua, mayor of Bilbao during the early 20th century.
Moyua station follows the typical cavern-shaped layout of most underground Metro Bilbao stations designed by Norman Foster, with the main hall located directly above the rail tracks.
- 3 Moyua Plaza (Elcano exit)
- 1 Moyua Plaza (Ercilla-Guggenheim exit)
- 8 Diputación street (Diputación exit, closed during night time services)
- 37 Gran Vía (Ercilla-Guggenheim exit)
The station is served by Line 1 to Etxebarri, Bidezabal and Plentzia and Line 2 to Basauri and Santurtzi. There are trains to San Ignazio every two minutes, as both lines run in the same direction, trains from line 2 to Santurtzi and Bidezabal every five minutes and to Plentzia every twenty minutes. There are extended services on weekends. Passengers looking to interchange from line 1 to line 2 or vice versa may do it in this station.
|Preceding station||Metro Bilbao||Following station|
Around Moyua Plaza stop several Bizkaibus lines, all in close proximity to the metro station entrance.
- A3224 Bilbao - Derio - Technological Park
- A3247 Bilbao - Airport
- A3516 Bilbao - Mungia (motorway)
- A3517 Bilbao - Derio - Mungia
- A3518 Bilbao - Bakio (motorway)
- A3527 Bilbao - Bermeo (motorway)
In 2008 the Basque Government made public the project of Metro Bilbao's line 4, which was expected to connect Moyua with the southern district of Errekalde, with the construction works expected to begin within the following two years. In 2009 the Basque Government announced the possibility of connecting the then under construction line 3 with the future line 4 at Matiko, thus extending the line 4 from Errekalde to Matiko via Moyua and two additional stations, one by the Doña Casilda Iturrizar park and another one by the campus of the University of Deusto. This project would have involved the renovation of Moyua station to hold the new platforms and tracks.
The line however stayed as a mere project, and in 2017 the Basque Government announced that any type of construction work could not begin before 2020 due to the lack of resources, a problem that also affected the line 5 project to Galdakao.
- Destinations at Metro Bilbao website
- Official Schedules at Metro Bilbao website
- Abajo, Teresa (22 September 2009). "Construction works for the Errekalde line could begin in three years". El Correo. Bilbao. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- García, Josu (22 September 2012). "The future line 4 will involve a new fosterito at Moyua". El Correo. Bilbao. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Igea, Octavio (12 February 2017). "Lack of money delays once again the arrival of line 5 to Galdakao". El Correo. Bilbao. Retrieved 3 November 2018.