|Basis||The life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart|
Mozart! is an Austrian musical, originally written in German. The original book and lyrics were written by Michael Kunze and the music and arrangements were composed by Sylvester Levay. The show is a new imagining of the struggles of the famous composer.
The original production was directed by the opera director Harry Kupfer. It premiered on October 2, 1999, in the Theater an der Wien, and the final performance was on 7 May 2001. It ran for 419 performances, showing to approximately 420,000 patrons.
The production appealed especially to younger Viennese audiences. Subsequent productions have been mounted in:
- Germany: Neue Flora (Stage Entertainment), Hamburg (September 21, 2001 – June 30, 2002)
- Japan: Tokyo and Osaka (2002)
- Hungary: Budapest (2003)
- Sweden: Karlstad (2005)
- Japan: Osaka, Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka (2005)
- Japan: Tokyo (2007)
- Germany: Zwickau, Plauen (2008)
- Czech Republic: Brno (2009)
- South Korea: Seoul (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014)
- Japan: Tokyo, Osaka, Kanazawa (2010-2011)
- Austria: Vienna (2015)
The Vienna and Budapest productions released cast albums, as well as the Japanese and Korean productions. In addition to that, the Korean production released two DVDs with a different cast on each.
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||10|
- Detailed synopsis of the plot
- Website for Vienna concert
- Cast and information about the musical from Budapest Operetta theatre
- Stacy's Musical Village
- A 2006 review in German