|Subsidiary of Dell|
Number of employees
Mozy is an online backup service for both Windows and Mac OS X users. Linux support was made available in Q3, 2014. In 2007 Mozy was acquired by EMC, and in 2013 Mozy was included in the EMC Backup Recovery Systems division's solution portfolio. On September 7, 2016, Dell Inc. acquired EMC Corporation to form Dell Technologies, restructuring the original company as a subsidiary of Dell Technologies.
Founded in 2005, Mozy was originally created by Berkeley Data Systems of American Fork, Utah. In October 2007, EMC acquired Berkeley Data Systems, along with the Mozy product line for $76 million. Data Systems and PI corporation. Mozy is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, though the majority of its employees are in its Pleasant Grove, Utah offices. On September 7, 2016, Dell Inc. acquired EMC Corporation to form Dell Technologies, restructuring the original company as a subsidiary of Dell Technologies.
Mozy produces three products: MozyHome, MozyPro, and MozyEnterprise.
MozyHome is the consumer version of the Mozy backup service.buy on a monthly subscription, or on various other plans. In January 2012 Mozy opened the public beta of its cloud storage / synchronization feature called Mozy Stash, for free. MozyHome previously offered users an unlimited amount of storage space. In February 2011 they closed the unlimited service and are charging according to how much space is used. 
MozyPro is the business class version of the Mozy backup service. Originally launched in 2007, MozyPro pricing was updated in 2012 for businesses to back up any number of computers for one price. For server backup, a business purchases the Server Pass for an additional monthly charge and back up as many servers as they like.
MozyEnterprise is for larger organizations and includes support for Active Directory, user groups (in a company), and more administrator control over user rights. For Mozy administrators, the company detailed its keyless activation and pooled storage features in a 2013 EMC blog post. Mozy has more than 800 enterprise customers. With all Mozy products, after the initial backup, Mozy only backs up new or changed portions of files. Backups can take place when the computer is not in use, either automatically, and at scheduled times. All user data is encrypted locally with strong encryption prior to transfer via a 128-bit SSL connection. Users can choose a managed encryption key or choose a personal key for added security. Mozy's security does not let end-users shortcut the data deletion process. Mozy is both SSAE 16 Type 2 and ISO 27001 certified.
In May 2010, Mozy launched MozyHome 2.0 and MozyPro 2.0, adding support for local backup, increased performance and a new user interface for consumers and small businesses.
In December 2013 Mozy nearly won both "Backup and Recovery/Archive Product of the Year" and "Cloud Storage Product of the Year" title from SVC Awards with Barracuda Message Archiver by Barracuda Networks and Cloud Disaster Recovery Service by EVault products in front.
In 2011, Mozy launched "restore manager" - a software tool to simplify the process of retrieving files from the Mozy cloud. It is also possible to restore through the Mozy client, in the Windows file tree or by ordering DVD disks from Mozy. Users can restore either the last version of any file backed up or any previous iteration backed up in the preceding thirty days or ninety days depending on the product.
- EMC Corporation
- List of online backup services
- Comparison of online backup services
- Remote backup service
- List of backup software
- Ferguson, Joey (26 January 2012). "Mozy launches new computer synching features". Deseret News. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Darrell Gamble of Mozy Named a UBM Tech Channel's CRN 2013 Channel Chief for Second Year". press release. PR Newswire. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- King, Rachael (7 September 2016). "Dell Closes $60 Billion Merger with EMC". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- EMC Press Release (October 4, 2007). "EMC Acquires Berkeley Data Systems, Provider of Mozy Online Backup and Recovery Services". Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- Utah Business (December 1, 2012). "Best Companies To Work Fork". Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- CrunchBase (January 1, 2008). "MozyHome / MozyPro". Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- PCMag.com "Mozy launches Stash Syncing Service" (Jan. 25, 2012) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399327,00.asp
- Harel Kodesh (February 1, 2011). "New MozyHome Plans". Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- The Register (Feb 2, 2011). "MozyHome stiffs unlimited users".
- Nagel, Eric (2012-04-10). "2012 MozyPro Updates Prices". Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Needleman, Ted (2013-07-08). "Mozy Review: Backing up PC & Mac Data to the Cloud". Notebook Review. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- EMC Pulse Blog, July 18, 2013: New Mozy Direction Places People at the Heart of Cloud Backup http://pulseblog.emc.com/2013/07/18/new-mozy-direction-places-people-at-the-heart-of-cloud-backup/
- Wexler, Steve (2013-07-10). "Backup to the Future: EMC Backup Blitz Product Details". IT-TNA. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Hruska, Joel (2012-09-21). "Backup master class: Mozy, Carbonite and Backblaze compared". Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Mozy Security Overview" (PDF).
- TechCrunch (2010-05-19). "Mozy unveils MozyHome 2.0, MozyPro 2.0 on Windows for faster backup". Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- SVCAwards (2013-12-20). "SVCAwards 2013 Winners and Runners Up". Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- Mozy: Official site
- Mozy Review: Macworld
- Mozy online backup: Reading the manual Michael Horowitz Computerworld.com (posted February 17, 2011)
- Everybody likes Mozy--except me, Part 1 Michael Horowitz CNET (posted July 30, 2007)
- Everybody likes Mozy--except me, Part 2 Michael Horowitz CNET (posted July 30, 2007)
- Hruska, Joel. "Online backup solutions: a review". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
- Arrington, Michael. "Tiny Startup Mozy Nails Multi-Million Dollar GE Storage Contract". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2007-07-16.
- Mossberg, Walt. "These Services Make Backing Up Your Files Safe and Inexpensive". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2007-07-16.